What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

After overclocking, constant black screen. HELP!

samhoffman

I'm still at a lost for words here. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. I have already unplugged the computer, reset the jumper and removed the battery for 20 minutes and then reset the changes. Still getting a black screen, I have over clocked 3 1055t's and jumped from from the stock voltage to 1.3v and the stock clock 2.8ghz to 3.3ghz on each of them and never had any issues until this one. The computer has is brand new, it shouldn't be malfunctioning like this.

bignick277

So you reset the CMOS several times and still getting black screen. Are you getting any beeps at all. Have you plugged in the little mini speaker into the motherboard so you can hear the beep codes. If so how many beeps? if any at all

Last edited:

Jebusman

I never get a speaker with my boards I only have one from an old 1998 computer I used to have. :blarg:

This. I'd say only about 50% of the boards I've purchased in the last few years had a PC speaker with them. I can only make the assumption he doesn't have one and just try to work from there, otherwise he probably would've mentioned it.

bignick277

Deleted as I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Was half asleep and stressing over going to the dentist. My fault, sorry man.

Last edited:

Jebusman

The point of the question wasn't specifically aimed at telling him to get a speaker if he didn't have one. It was specifically aimed at narrowing down the possibilities. As I mentioned above, if he doesn't have a speaker, but his LCD poster is working perfectly (which is controlled by the motherboard) then there's a very real possibility that the motherboard is fine. If the motherboard is goosed, then the likely hood of the LCD poster working is slim to none. Asking about the speaker was a way to help support that thought. If on the other hand, he did have the speaker installed the whole time and wasn't getting any beeps, then yeah, the mother board could more likely be the problem. But he doesn't, so the likely hood of the motherboard having the issue is considerably lower. Meaning the problem is most likely the graphics card itself. Not the drivers, the actual physical graphics card is most likely failing. This explains the graphical artifacts. The fact that he can't boot into windows. And even windows installer as if the card is faulty in a major enough way, it would easily crash the computer trying to run any graphics. I've had a graphics card fail before, and it was similar issue to his, except I could boot it safe mode. But just because I could boot into safe mode when my card died doesn't mean he will be able to.

In short, based on what you described through the course of this. The symptoms, and the things we've checked, I highly doubt the issue is with your motherboard in any respect. It doesn't fit the nature of the problem your describing nor does it fit if your LCD poster is fully functional and no beeps because you don't have the speaker plugged in. I think the problem is with the graphics card. I know you said you don't have a spare graphics card. But if you have another computer that uses a PCIe graphics card, I would highly recommend you borrow it from that computer for about 10 - 15 minutes to test if the problem is coming from the graphics card. With the given information, the most likely culprit is the graphics card as it is the only thing that fits the symptoms and the information we have at hand.

Final Note: I also see that you've already reset your CMOS, so it can't be the overclock, because you've already wiped the overclock settings.

Ok, hold on, woah there. I think you posted this to the wrong topic. LCD Poster? Graphical Artifacts? The dude has a black screen, that's not a graphical artifact. The thing won't even POST. Did I miss an entire page of information or something?

Edit: Ok yeah, you're definitely confusing this thread with this one: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/50537-need-some-help.html

You should probably read the thread first before posting a literal essay in it.

Last edited:

stoanee

Folding Team
The above mentioned problems underscore the importance of having spare, known good components that can be used for troubleshooting. If a major component died, the troubleshooting process requires replacement. I have had instances where an unrelated component died while working on something else, which totally screwed up my troubleshooting method. :blarg:

Latest posts