What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AIO liquid cooler life expectancy?

kyle_L

How long till these pre build AIO liquid cooling systems need to be replaced. I have a corsair single 120mm rad and it's been in my PC and untouched for the better part of 4-5 years. Is there a shelf life on these things?

Soultribunal

Staff member
How long till these pre build AIO liquid cooling systems need to be replaced. I have a corsair single 120mm rad and it's been in my PC and untouched for the better part of 4-5 years. Is there a shelf life on these things?
That is actually a very good question that I don't there is a definitive answer on TBH.
Given that there are a few OEMS for these products, and they are built to order by the people whom stick their labels on them.

I would honestly replace it (personally) at the 5+ year mark. Rubber , seals, etc , do eventually succumb to thermal cycling and age.

My thought at least,

-ST

enaberif

If there are no issues in leaks and the rubber and seals are good and your temps aren't showing any difference.. It'll be fine.

Lysrin

If there are no leaks, as mentioned, then the other key thing would be pump life. You could check the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) for the pump in your AIO, if published, and that should allow you to do a rough estimate of how far along you are towards death. As an AIO gets very old I would be less comfortable leaving my PC on and unattended for long periods of time especially under high load. I mean I think PCs are pretty good at shutting themselves down now before burning up, but still...

The closed no-service AIO are not intended to have their coolant changed or cleaned, but I guess since they are sealed, issues with corruption in the coolant causing failure is less of a risk? I have Swiftech AIOs and they are expandable with coolant change recommended after 3 years. I just did that with two and apparently killed the pump somehow in one. So there you go... I might have been better off not messing with it!

Cptn Vortex

Literally just had a client's H55 die yesterday afternoon. Got the call about a terrible loud buzzing sound coming from the workstation, went onsite and it was clearly a BIOS speaker alarm. HWmonitor showed CPU1 at 99c at idle, 2nd CPU was only 30's. The system was built in 2014, so right around that 4-5 year mark.

Izerous

It seems like the smaller pumps in the AIO's and pumps like the DDC seem to fail sooner than the larger pumps like the D5. DDC's in my experience failed far sooner than the D5S pumps I have that are still going and going.

JD

Staff member
I'd almost be inclined to say they're designed to fail so that you do replace it before anything major goes wrong. If the pump lasts 5yr let's say but the tubing/fittings/seals can last 10yr, that gives you a relatively "safe" window in that nothing is going to leak and kill the whole PC, but you'll throw it out anyways since your CPU is overheating. Better than having (probably) conductive liquid spill all over your motherboard and video card.

KaptCrunch

NAIL MB IT TO THE CEILING , no worry of spilt fluid for water runs down hill lol J/K

a lot of variables here pump, UV light on tubing or low fluid level

main thing is monitor cooling so can catch a issue arises also can set temp level in bios to shut down

kyle_L

Thanks for the info guys.

So for me. The computer was built and used heavy for the first year. After that it was mostly just used to surf the internet and download some things here and there due to my car accident. Now because it's been sitting so long I needed to clean everything. Thats when I noticed that the 90° fitting on the block were a little stiff. I'm a mechanic by trade so I know what it means when thing stop moving easy. I think to be on the safe side I will change back to air cooling till I can replace it when I upgrade. Don't need it leaking or dying when I cannot afford to replace everything.

NAIL MB IT TO THE CEILING
If I was not renting I totally would. As soon as I buy a house in the next year or so I'm going to build a wall mounted PC. Always loved the look of one just bolted to the wall. The wife will kill me but I don't care.

gingerbee

if it ain't broke don't fix. I had my Antec kuhler 920 last for almost 5 years and technical it still works i just stopped using it

Latest posts

Twitter