What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AIO vs Custom Loop

danmitch1

This has most likely been answered somewhere but a search of the forums didnt really find a clear answer.

So besides price, risk of leaks, time, maintenance etc, will the best 360mm rad AIO available cool just as well as a custom loop with a 360mm rad?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, the benefit of a custom loop is performance and the ability to have multiple blocks vs. an AiO where it's basically for a single item. granted, EK has made customizable closed loops, but I don't believe their performance is as good as a custom.

you also have to accept that an AiO will likely sell while the parts bought for a custom likely won't...so if you spend $1000 on a custom, you have to resign yourself to that being a total loss when you upgrade. perfect example is a buddy of mine who did a custom loop for his 1950X. not only is nobody interested in his CPU or mobo, but nobody wants any of the WC bits he's got for sale, like the CPU block, because it's old tech and virtually worthless.

danmitch1

I didnt think of the resale aspect, good point.

But as far as performance, custom beats closed? By far?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I didnt think of the resale aspect, good point.

But as far as performance, custom beats closed? By far?
custom loops have a lot more water in them, so it takes longer for the temperature to equalize than an AiO because of the thermal mass bonus and when it does, it's usually 5 - 10C or lower. however, you may want to look at the cost / performance for those customizable closed loops.

danmitch1

But lets say a closed loop pump, is it capable of moving more fluid? and the rad on an AIO, is it basically the same thing as a custom loop ( speaking of the best of both worlds that is )
I guess you could cut the hose of an AIO and add a reservoir if you ddnt care about wrecking it lol.

sswilson

Staff member
AIOs also typically sport thin rads which won't have as much cooling capacity as the larger/thicker rad in a custom loop.

That said... it's very much a case of diminishing returns, and I personally wouldn't recommend a custom loop over an AIO for a normal user if they aren't looking for the aesthetics of a custom loop.

edit: At one time, AIOs had a hard time keeping up with high end air cooling let alone custom WC. These days the performance gap isn't that big.

Cptn Vortex

AIO are quite good value and performance but as said above, each component of a custom loop is definitely better than their AIO counterparts in terms of overall cooling ability. The blocks are going to be built with much better micro-fin machining and optimized for flow. Radiators are going to come in whichever sizes and thinknesses you want to fit your needs. It obviously comes at a cost though. My loop is probably about $1100 in parts alone, to cool the CPU and GPU. That being said, one failed pump or a leak in an AIO means getting a whole new setup. With Custom, you just upgrade the odd part here and there as you need to. In my system, one of my radiators is close to 12 years old! The other, probably 9 or 10. My CPU block is closing in on 6 or 7 years.

Cptn Vortex

talking custom loops...does anyone still make fully copper radiators or modify heater cores to use and don't look like abominations?

No idea about the heater core thing but the big guns still make theirs predominantly out of Copper/Brass. EK, XSPC etc.

Latest posts