What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AIO's that have mixed water (Don't try this with a sealed loop..) experiments.

DefNitelyMine

I S@#$ you not!!

IMG_20220331_083001_825.jpg

This is what AIOs look like when you tamper with the original coolant!. :,D this was after 2 months while not in use.

IMG_20220331_082937_707.jpg

after removing CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H100i v2 AIO pump from the original radiator.. and trying to keep the fluid, and ordinary water, (after topping off what I lost during transfer) in this loop... and using Thermaltake's 240mm rad with tubes from an older build, I spliced 2 and 2 into one, out come..

I removed it after I ordered a new AIO, and kept it in my closet.. kept hearing small hissing, seen mist coming from this, and I touched it.. water came shooting out across my room over my PC and all over my door! >:,D not a signal drop on the floor. it sounded awful like I over pumped my bikes tires..

Experiments for the cause of curiosity. it was to be the AIO for my 30 series card under works, but killed it after this discovery.

I had this in my PC for weeks.. . :,D​

Lysrin

Well I'm not sure what would be in tap water to do that, but I know when building a custom loop we always use at least distilled water. So maybe the tap water is the culprit?

DefNitelyMine

Well I'm not sure what would be in tap water to do that, but I know when building a custom loop we always use at least distilled water. So maybe the tap water is the culprit?
It was clearly a bad idea, I just couldn't help myself to try it anyway. .:,D

clshades

Regular tap water isn't going to create a leak like that. All you've done is diluted the original liquid a bit.

If you've over pressured the new water too much and then the liquid heats up the expansion is gonna make a hole. This is why I always used an air relief valve on the top of my resi to prevent over pressure.

Honestly. Tap water and some biocide is fine or tap water and a bit of glycol it's fine too. The only thing glycol really does is raise the temperature a tiny bit vs straight water and prevent biologicals from growing.

At the end of the day, pH is the only thing that truly matters in a heating or cooling system. Big boiler systems are supposed to be tested yearly for this exact reason.

Izerous

Folding Team
Distilled and biocide is basically what I have been using for the last 5-6 years. Pressure could be from over full, also from bacteria etc.

Are both radiators the same material or did you switch between copper and alu radiators.
Re-using liquid that sat in alu and shove it in a copper rad for example would have been a bad idea.

FreeKnight

I suspect clshades is right that tap water alone probably wouldn't cause the leak and overpresssurization may have played a role.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend tap water, especially if you have very hard water. Edmonton's water is so hard it's right on the 'safe to drink' limit for Magnesium and Calcium half the time and while they're mostly harmless minerals, I wouldn't want either building up in my loop as the water heats and they precipitate out.

Not likely an issue if you've just 'topped up' and it's not going to build up like sludge in the bottom of a boiler, but I wouldn't take the chance on expensive PC liquid cooling parts.

DefNitelyMine

Regular tap water isn't going to create a leak like that. All you've done is diluted the original liquid a bit.

If you've over pressured the new water too much and then the liquid heats up the expansion is gonna make a hole. This is why I always used an air relief valve on the top of my resi to prevent over pressure.

Honestly. Tap water and some biocide is fine or tap water and a bit of glycol it's fine too. The only thing glycol really does is raise the temperature a tiny bit vs straight water and prevent biologicals from growing.

At the end of the day, pH is the only thing that truly matters in a heating or cooling system. Big boiler systems are supposed to be tested yearly for this exact reason.
I figured as much, what I noticed to before I threw out my Rad and tubes was the tube was hardened, and slid on and off the pump with no elasticity to close the loop, like I needed a zip-tie to tighten the ends. the Rad fell and broke sadly.. the sound was like a small pressure washer.. worst jump scare >:,D.

Latest posts