What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Air Intake for new build with AIO

Lysrin

Also... Most water cooled CPUs never get over 40c under load and this heat goes away pretty fast...
40C under load?? Is that what you meant? Or did you mean idle? If you are keeping your CPU at 40C under load that is impressive. I get 70-80C under load, Prime for 10-15 min for example, but when it's working on anything significant, gaming, etc. it doesn't stay at 40C; usually 60-75C depending on the game. I am overclocked but still... 30-40C idle is normal for me.

If you get that low I really need to consider changing my fan setup! :)

When I tested my old AIO, intake vs exhaust, mounted top, there was only a 1-2 degree difference. However then I had an air cooled non-blower GPU and was concerned about getting cooler internal case temps for it. That is why I went exhaust. Also, I don't think you get tonnes of exhaust from the GPU fan unless it is a blower style. The one like I had and the OP has would I think dump most of its hot air into the case.

I run mine the same, top rad blows in, front case fan blows in, rear case fan is the only exhaust...
I missed that you were set up this way in the course of my whole build log. Maybe I should switch around my top fans and pull cool in from the top. Front is pulling in through front rad. Hmm... You and clshades are both saying it's better. Two more experienced than me!

I'll just add a 140mm on the bottom, pointing towards the GPU, when the system is assembled fully I'll let you all know the temps I'm seeing. Thanks again for the feedback.
Be very interested in seeing the temps you get for both CPU and GPU. Always interesting these discussions.

KaptCrunch

Lysrin
If really fussy on temps, need to make ductwork on rads exhaust side to outer case to keep MB cool or fish tank it will mineral oil, extreme lol

Lysrin

Lysrin
If really fussy on temps, need to make ductwork on rads exhaust side to outer case to keep MB cool or fish tank it will mineral oil, extreme lol
I'll take that under advisement Kapt! 😁

But I do wonder about clshades' 40C under load. I have never seen that low a CPU load temp....

dave343

Finally got the build finished last night 😓, just need to tidy up the cabling in the back. I'll toss Windows on tonight, but I did get a chance to check the temps from within the BIOS. Case temp is hovering around 30c, that's with both side panels on, and CPU temp for the 3700x is at 27C. I left things pretty much the same fan wise, so AIO is front mounted, with 3x Corsair 120mm for intake, but I added 1x Noctua 120mm Redux 1300 PWM fan on the bottom floor for additional intake. Up top, I still have the 3 Noctua Redux 120mm fans exhausting, as well the 140mm Fractal fan exhausting on the rear.

I didn't end up going with the Gigabyte Master x570 board, I switched it up to the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Over the years I've stuck to Gigabyte boards, but also have had zero luck trying to get Ryzen memory to run at rated speeds, especially with the XMP Profile. The memory I have now is the Corsair 3600 Vengence Pro RGB C18. Went straight into the Memory settings in the BIOS and choose the XMP profile... and vola, it's working fine. On the Gigabyte Gaming-X board I tried, if I choose XMP profile with this same memory it would keep resetting the BIOS to default.

When I get Windows installed tonight, I'll test out R6 Siege again and report back with the temps I get now. But 27c is at least a nice change... when I had the 3700X in the Corsair 275Q case with the 2 stock fans and AMD Wrath Prism cooler, BIOS temp was 50C+, Windows Idle 55-60c, and R6 80c+

KaptCrunch

I'll take that under advisement Kapt! 😁

But I do wonder about clshades' 40C under load. I have never seen that low a CPU load temp....
Yes with inline chiller will be usually room temp, idle around minus 15-20
Or can do same with his rads outside in the fall air will get those readings

danmitch1

Yeah seriously, I was like WTF am I doing wrong with my 70c load temps on my AIO... lol

Lysrin

Yes with inline chiller will be usually room temp, idle around minus 15-20
Or can do same with his rads outside in the fall air will get those readings
Sure, but that doesn't describe "most water cooled CPUs". I've roamed the web a lot researching this custom loop hobby and I haven't seen very many systems like you describe; at least not for a regular liquid cooled PC that isn't being used for oc'ing record breaking or the like.

Yeah seriously, I was like WTF am I doing wrong with my 70c load temps on my AIO... lol
My thoughts exactly! 😁

Izerous

Summary from a test on my custom loop when i was comparing AS5 vs MX-4 paste some years ago, idle results were negligible load results in in favour of AS5 by about 0.5c on average.

If i pulled up the details correctly (still using the following)
2xHX-1080 rads
2xD5 Pump in series
18xNF-F12 Fans

Numbers were the following with 2x6990 not loaded also in the loop and a CH4-Extreme full coverage block
1100T + Koolance CPU-360 [AS5]
[Temperatures Over Ambient]
100% fan speed Idle: 2.8'c
40% fan speed Idle: 4.8'c
100% fan speed Load: 13.8'c
40% fan speed Load: 17.0'c

Even though the AS5 was a winner I still stuck with MX4 going forward since it is non-conductive so...
1100T + Koolance CPU-380 [MX4]
100% fan speed idle: 2.1'c
40% fan speed idle 4.3'c

100% fan speed Load: 9.7'c
40% fan speed Load: 12.8'c

*Please note loop was sufficiently pre-warmed and not cold and CPU-380 temps were pulled after over 30 minutes of prime95 loads after the loop was warmed*

I never re-ran these tests with the fx-8370 or with the 2700X/HeatKiller IV block, but when you go a little overboard <10'c over ambient is more than possible. 24'c room temp even with 10'c over ambient temperatures is only 34'c under load without a chiller you just need enough surface area on your radiators.

Only AIO I ever bother to use was on my file server and I gave it away to a friend.

Lysrin

Thanks Izerous, that's good info. However is something like this the rad you are referring to; something this big?
Koolance HX-1080 - Frozencpu

If yes, then sure. I can see that would keep your temps down that low. I'm being a dog with a bone here, or beating a dead horse, or whatever ;) , but my confusion wasn't about whether or not it is possible to get temps at 40C or below under load, but rather that seeing that on "most" water cooled CPUs seems a stretch to me.

Original concern being if the OP went off and attempted/expected to get those low temps with the gear they have... well I think they would be disappointed no matter how they configured the layout.

Latest posts

Twitter