What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Airflow restrictions / rebuild of external cooler

Izerous

Folding Team
I haven't been quite happy with the results of the external cooler I built. I thought it was clever to gut a ATX case and shove the 1080 radiators in it but the results temperature & noise wise just have not worked as desired. Previously having them slapped to the side of the 800D I used to use resulted in much better temperatures just didn't look an.ywhere near as nice

So I'm planning revision 2 that I want to try, mount them to the wall with a glass or metal front like you would find on the front of a tempered glass case. Gap them away from the wall for exhaust and pull from around the edges of the panel in front. I was thinking metal so I could actually put artwork on the metal itself instead of glass which would just show the weird colored noctua fans and I'm not about to buy that many RGB fans right now.

Gamers Nexus and other places have talked about how big the gaps need to be but that is normally only accounting for 3x120mm maybe 3x140mm fans and not 18 of them. Anyone happen to know what kind of gaps I would need to look at between the panel and fans for them to be able to suck in a reasonable amount of air onto the radiators. Id have to replicate similarly sized opening on the exhaust.

JD

Staff member
I would think its easier to get your piece of metal first, and simply hold it in place to determine how much distance you'll need? I figure there's likely a point where it's too close and will sound louder, so if you go a little bit further than that, it should be fine?

I'm guessing no matter what the center fan will be starved for airflow and may be best to just not use one?

Izerous

Folding Team
Center fan needs to be there for consistant pressure so it doesn't get looped back through the opening.

KaptCrunch

take a trip to scrap yard and remove radiator and fan shroud from a small car

note: try to get a copper core unit not a aluminum

Bond007

I am with JD on this one. I feel that airflow is going to be choked off to the central section of the rad if you have a front panel over it. Reviews show poor airflow with a single column of fans trying to get air behind a panel, and it would be way worse if a fan is t even located by an edge.

JD

Staff member
Since I happened to come across it last night, what about going with the Alphacool Cape Cora passive radiators? Might as well just get something that doesn't need fans at all?

Though you have dual 1080 radiators with only a 2700X and 1080 Ti? I would imagine you've already tried running it without any fans? To me that doesn't seem like enough heat load to use up the capacity of a single 1080 rad, let alone 2.

Izerous

Folding Team
I'm not in need of more radiators I already have them. I'm just not happy with the long term results of the enclosure. 1h long stress tests prior to enclosure were maybe 10-15'c above ambient and now I'm doubling that leaving folding running for days on end about 50% load.

Koolance 1080 rads are 360x360 so 9x120mm fans mountable on each side. 18 fans in total for push only spun down as low as possible across two of them. Running folding 24x7 the temps do climb even with all radiator surface area. But the airflow coming out of the enclosure isn't quite right and instead of trying to make it better I'd rather just redo it.

Side note been running aluminum rads since 2003.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

kaptcrunch.jpg

OT
can find desktop style case and put all but waterblocks in it

for PSU the motherboard connector find green wire near latch and any black wire will turn on PSU, all need is a ON/OFF switch to power unit