What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Airflow restrictions / rebuild of external cooler

KaptCrunch

Izerous

question setup for folding? do you have infrared thermometer

sounds you may have not enough fluid in loop for rads should be giving off heat. can make a diagram with elevation also what pump using

renting or own home

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
Own home
Loop contains close to 2L of fluid I think it was close to 1.9L to be a bit more accurate

Res is a touch low but not significantly

20200722_174327.jpg
20200722_174335.jpg
20200722_174543.jpg
I didn't pull it out but the whole assembly fits inside that case.

My plan was to mount something like the jazz image where this truck picture is. Hide the radiators behind an image like that with an open frame and suck the air through that gap between the image and the frame then out the top in the back of that makes better sense.
20200722_174708.jpg20200722_174742.jpg

Wanting to replicate something like the jazz picture is why I was asking about gaps and sizing and why it would be difficult to just fiddle with it after the fact.

Temperatures were great before I shoved it all into the box but I impart did that to protect curious little fingers. The box is one of the biggest reasons for the temp spike.

Flow rate is not a concern

Izerous

Folding Team
This compared to jazz image.

Also turned folding on to run as long as computer is on. Even while gaming just at different loads.

At idle it spokes to about 50% CPU usage

Temperature are in acceptable ranges but noise has spiked and results are worse than having it free standing instead of in the case. The primary goal of me going so crazily overboard in radiators was to keep noises low as possible even under heavy loads.

Attachments

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it sounds like you aren't having the expected performance today. I only have a 360+240, I run my Gentle Typhoons (1450rpm versions) at roughly 7V, so 850-900RPM which is quiet. I don't adjust the fans at all, and my CPU (3900X, previous 6850k) and GPU (2080 Ti, previous 1080 Ti) all run fine and well. Temperatures well within limits. You technically have 2.7x the radiator surface area, along with double the pumps (I run a single D5 at about 40%).

It still seems to me that if you mounted those 2 radiators on the wall without any fans, it should be able to keep your system operating at acceptable temperatures?

Anyhow, assuming the radiators can technically run this heat load passively, perhaps a totally different idea entirely. Rather than putting fans (green) on the radiator (black) directly, place them above/below to help air pass over/around them. Then your art frame (red) would cover the front.

1595473381221.png

And it looks like you still have 6 fans in the O11? I don't think there's any reason to have that many fans either if silence is your goal. That's a lot of fans just to keep your motherboard cool. Are these PWM controlled too and increasing in speed for no reason as there's really no heat load in your case?

Izerous

Folding Team
In the O11 case fans literally just because they are the quietest RBG fans I could find. Spun down to barely just above stalling speeds just like the noctuas are supposed to be.

The external enclosure is acting more like a hot box than anything. Pop side panels off and temps drop drastically.

KaptCrunch

The external enclosure is acting more like a hot box than anything. Pop side panels off and temps drop drastically.
due to recycled air no fresh entering rads . was mentioned before. other not enough fluid in loop

Izerous

Folding Team
due to recycled air no fresh entering rads . was mentioned before. other not enough fluid in loop
I mentioned in the begging my box idea was the problem, and it is why my revision 2 idea forces air front the front and out the top. But I don't want togo through the effort of building all of this again to have made the choke point way too small.

KaptCrunch

a pic of said setup would tell a story

plumbing, sizes to hoses, what pump using ?

using a Rez ?