What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AliExpress

Entz

Damm that’s way cheaper than last time. Mine was over 50 just in fees + gst/pst Normal stuff. Maybe aliexpress or China in general has reduced it massivel.16 isn’t bad at all

Dwayne

Like anything shipped into Canada that needs duty and taxes paid, if you live in a major center that has a Border Services office you can "broker" the product yourself. When I lived in Winnipeg and received a shipment via UPS I would have them take the item to the depot. I would go to the depot, get the tax paperwork, head to the CBSA office, present the paperwork and pay the taxes, and then take the finished paperwork back to UPS and get my parcel. When I lived in Cold Lake, that wasn't possible. Even here in Courtenay, I would have to drive to Victoria to find a CBSA office, I believe. So it comes down to convenience and willingness to pay for them to collect the taxes and remit it on your behalf.

bassnut

Update on FEDX brokerage fees $10.00 ..... a water block and backplate just arived from performance pcs I was pleasantly surprised and thought I would pass that along.

Bond007

Update on FEDX brokerage fees $10.00 ..... a water block and backplate just arived from performance pcs I was pleasantly surprised and thought I would pass that along.
I recently bought brake pads from the states that arrived via fedex and I wasn’t charged anything. I know it is semi off OP topic, but why would somethings get nailed for extras and others be zero? Luck?

JD

Staff member
I recently bought brake pads from the states that arrived via fedex and I wasn’t charged anything. I know it is semi off OP topic, but why would somethings get nailed for extras and others be zero? Luck?
Sometimes I've later received an invoice in the mail from FedEx with the charges, so I wouldn't say you're in the clear quite yet... I think they just don't equip their couriers with payment ability.

Entz

Plus if you look at the Fee tables they are pages longs some times and depending if you have a nice person or a jerk you may be hit with different ones. Documentation Fee, putting documents in the plastic envelope fee, putting the envelop on the package fee, being awake since 9am without coffee fee.

bassnut

Speaking from a Canada post standpoint ..... not everything is bound for duty collection. I'm not 100% sure but I think auto parts are exempt or at least partially exempt.

I have had it happen as well getting a letter from FedEx for past duties as well. Sometimes the little sticker they affix to the package comes off, that was what happened in my case.

Collecting duties ..... with current exceptions for now with the covid 19 restrictions ..... we have the ability to collect duty provided they have exact change handy or don't care about getting change or are paying by credit card. Canada post has recently been accepting online payment but be prepared to show proof when your carrier shows up you paid it.... ie printed confirmation/ receipt. I believe FedEx has the same procedure but since they don't have the ability to drop off at a postal outlet they tend to call ahead to advise you if duty is due.