What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

All means of transfer slow!

hedgehog885

Hello,

So this issue came to light last month and I exhausted every option I can think of but no resolution, so I've come here to try my luck to see if anyone can assist me.

It began when I noticed my USB2.0 transfer rate using my flash drive was slower than usual through my front case port, and I mean slow as in ~1MB/s. I read that theoretically it should be able to transfer about 60MB/s. I tried every other ports, including the back ports, and all transfer rate was identical. I even tested my flash drive transfer on my server and it was speedy, nothing wrong. I initially thought my OS (Windows 7) was becoming unstable due to not refreshing for a while, and on top of that my GPU (R9 290) was causing beyond instability issues (heat issues, spike in fan speed, random resets, etc). So I decided to refresh my PC to Windows 8 and swap my GPU back to my oldie one. After all is completed I test the transfer speed using my flash drive and to my surprise, the speed still remains at ~1MB/s. I then thought it has to be a BIOS related issue, even though I haven't touched the settings since its purchase a few years back. I cleared the CMOS, even pulling out the battery so its all fresh again, attempted the usb transfer, and still...no change. Now today googling every possible problem to find a resolution; attempted a few, still no luck. I decided to put this off to clear my head, so I went on to watch a movie stored on my home network, which is physically plugged, nothing wireless. But thought first I should to transfer a movie file over to my newly reformatted PC as I needed to restarted my server due to a windows update, and guess what I found out...the transfer speed over my network is copying at the rate of ~1MB/s! I flipped!!! I do not what's going on now. Is it the motherboard? Did my previous GPU ruined my motherboard due to heating?

If anyone can please help me diagnose this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ZZLEE

Fist off Can you give us a full system spec out.

CPU,MB, Drives, Vid card, ...

What flash drive ??

hedgehog885

Fist off Can you give us a full system spec out.

CPU,MB, Drives, Vid card, ...

What flash drive ??
Sorry for the late response.

My PC specs:
MB: EVGA X58 SLI LGA1366
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Core 920 @ 2.66GHZ
GC: MSI GeForce GTX 570
RAM: 12GB Mushkin Blackline PC3-12800 DDR3-1600
PSU: Corsair AX750
SSD: Ssamsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Its an old Patriot Xporter 16GB. I tested on my server and the speed rate was optimal.

JD

Staff member
What if you run something like CrystalDiskMark against your SSD/HDD?

Sounds like you have some major I/O bottleneck somewhere...the issue is going to be determining where.

hedgehog885

Here are screenshots using HD Tune Pro. I don't know if these numbers qualify for "standard" transfer rates.

Any additional information you need to assist in troubleshooting please let me know.

Thank you.

hedgehog885

I posted some screenshots results from HD Tunes and it required mod approval. Was it ever approved?

sswilson

Staff member
I posted some screenshots results from HD Tunes and it required mod approval. Was it ever approved?
It probably was but I'll bet you went back and edited it.... ;)

Edits on threads that have been approved go back into moderation but we don't get a notification.

JD

Staff member
All those look normal to me.

If you copy a file from your SSD to HDD, do you get full speed?

Do you have some crazy antivirus running in the background?

hedgehog885

It probably was but I'll bet you went back and edited it.... ;)

Edits on threads that have been approved go back into moderation but we don't get a notification.
I could have, but don't remember, haha. My bad if I did.

All those look normal to me.

If you copy a file from your SSD to HDD, do you get full speed?

Do you have some crazy antivirus running in the background?
Very odd now, it seems like my transfer rate locally is all good now. No experiencing slowness. I cannot explain this, however good to know things look normal. Just tested a transfer from SSD to HDD...looks good. :thumb: No AV since I completed a Windows refresh. Wanted to ensure it wasn't software related, or worse malware. Any possible thoughts on what might of happened?

Now the problem continues with my network transfer, from server to local pc. Its bottle-necking like crazy still, around ~1MBps. Would it be best to refresh my router? Its flashed with DD-WRT running a Kong build. I haven't refreshed it since earlier this year, but that being said I never had such an issue before when I didn't refresh it with my previous build for more than a year.

Latest posts

Twitter