What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

All Metal Fan?

Izerous

It became the Engine 27 as per the video but anything surrounding benchmark numbers was un-impressive.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
haha that would be a concern as well itd have to be on a rig you didnt have to service often or was critiacl, like nas/htpc something youd set and forget.

Mr. Friendly

It became the Engine 27 as per the video but anything surrounding benchmark numbers was un-impressive.
yeh...but what if they scaled it up? it was the smallest cooler in the lineup, so it's not surprising it didn't perform all that well in the end. but they have several cm of space to work with to improve.

also, the mating surfaces theory is very similar to your thread on grooved IHS for watercooling.

Izerous

It was one of the reasons for the thought I had. The engine 27 was one of those idea I always like on paper. I think at it current iteration woudl be hard to scale up though Make it much taller and the weight of the "floating" metal fan would probably become too much to stay balanced and in place. Maybe shove the whole thing on top of a vapor chamber... or around a vapor chamber spinning tube of death. If I wasn't such a lousy artist I'd draw that out.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i thought id have seen this idea somewere by now having a inline groove that the ihs sould basicly sit in, instead of having the heatsink sit ontop the ihs what if the ihs fit perfectly snug within the heatsink, have ti mind the mounting area but have the IHS of the cpu have exacting measurements so it sits perfectly inside the heatsink,

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@Shadowarez
Damn you for making me click a Linus video. That ear pierced, acne plagued, balding with hair gel nobody doesn't deserve to be called a Tech, let alone anything else he earned from being NCIX's whiny googling poster-thing.

Oh, the heatsink, right.
Interesting concept, terrible in practice. The *only* only only place this might be used is for thin-ITX, which hasn't ever taken off. So pretty pointless.

I'm also pretty damn certain the ancient Zalman "flower" heatsink could beat the pants of this thing too. Just sayin.

Latest posts

Twitter