What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Want to Buy AM1 CPU + HSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Got a second am1 board for a very nice price, but since the AM1 platform was so short lived (why and why, it was fantastic) there's very little of them around.

So if anyone does have an am1 CPU that they're willing to sell, send me a PM with your price + shipping to Montreal and we'll go from there.

Would obviously prefer a quad core and, if possible, with the AM1 heatsink as well.

Thanks in advance everyone

Izerous

Folding Team
From memory the AM2/3 even 939 heatsinks were still a match for AM1 and a few others. So an AM3 hyper evo and all the like would potentially work if you have anything AMD compatible at all laying around.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
From memory the AM2/3 even 939 heatsinks were still a match for AM1 and a few others. So an AM3 hyper evo and all the like would potentially work if you have anything AMD compatible at all laying around.
Nope, sorry but not even close. The only downside to AM1 was a totally unique heatsink mounting system. Two twist/push pins in opposite corners, that's all it had, unfortunately.

Otherwise I'd still my old AM2 solid copper 1U heatsink and run it passive forever (that same copper lump handled an old 45w cpu almost without a fan, so a 25w or less modern thing would be cake)

Izerous

Folding Team
I sit here fully corrected. I swore the mounting was the same but your right I just looked up images and it was the odd ball that wasn't the same for holes for years.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I sit here fully corrected. I swore the mounting was the same but your right I just looked up images and it was the odd ball that wasn't the same for holes for years.

Yep, and despite that I loved the platform. Super cheap boards with Everything on the CPU. A True SoC that could a bit of everything.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Not very hopeful bump.
Did this fantastic platform Really die out so badly? So sad...
I've seen only one or two insanely overpriced CPUs on eBay and other sellers (think 160+$, Ugh), so this may be a fool's errand...

moocow

Aliexpress got 5370 for $60USD. Not as cheap as I like it but doesn't seem as insane as eBay prices you quoted.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Aliexpress got 5370 for $60USD. Not as cheap as I like it but doesn't seem as insane as eBay prices you quoted.
5370? Really? Those are insanely rare, so I might have to check it out. Still overpriced a bit though, that's going to be nearly 100cad by the time it gets here, for .2 GHz more than a 5350.

moocow

Oddly enough, all the 4 cores AM1 on Aliexpress are around the same price. Kind of hard to justify when the 2200g is around $70 to $80 CAD on FB Market.

sswilson

Staff member
Oddly enough, all the 4 cores AM1 on Aliexpress are around the same price. Kind of hard to justify when the 2200g is around $70 to $80 CAD on FB Market.

Yes, but the beauty of the AM1 platform was that MB + Proc could typically be bought for under $100 CDN. Hard to do a 2200g MB + Proc on less than $175 let alone $100. Throw in one of the few mITX "thin" boards ever sold on this side of the atlantic and it (AM1) was a really attractive low powered package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts