What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AM2 4200 vs. e6600?

ragenrok

hi there, I know i'm making alot of posts latley but I just cant help it lol.

Anyways my question is, do you think its worth just buying a new AM2 motherboard so I can overclock my am2 4200+ cpu, or should I buy a new intell board and get a e6600 cpu.

Is the extra $200-$300 worth the upgrade to an e6600? or am i better off just stiking with my 4200?

Im just interested in your guys opinions and even solid numbers to show me one way or the other.

sswilson

Staff member
For one thing, your upgrade wouldn't be $200-$300.

C2D chips might have dropped in price, but decent mobos are still quite high.

Do you really need the extra power a C2D would give you?

ragenrok

ya I guess the extra power ain't really needed lol. I just like knowing I have it if i needed it. I'm thinking ill just stick with amd, I've used them for 6 years now might as well not stop till I have to lol.

Ok then, heres my next Q, whats a good aftermarket air cpu cooling system and motherboard thats around $150-$200 to oc with for AM2? preferably around the $50 mark or less.

Corpus Masochist

I just like having it cause I can, hehe. And yes my health suffers because I have to eat nothing but KD for a year but hey.......... at least I have a smoken computer.

Eldonko

DFI Infinity NF UltraII-M2 or Biostar Tforce 570 SLI are two of the cheaper but good ocing AM2 boards.

For cooling I would say Tuniq Tower 120 but Im not sure if it fits AM2.. The other rec ^^ for HSF are fine too.