What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AM4 sensitive to VRM?

CTA

Today I ordered 2700X so I need new AM4 mobo but I am still not sure how sensitive 2700x is.. I guess rumor/information influenced me.

So I want to be clear

Is it true that AM4 is sensitive to RAM and VRM?

I looked at this list; https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

6+1 or 6+2 is better for cooling and overclocking but it kinda not making a sense.. I did research on different AM4 mobo and they seems not big difference to me. I might think if buying better RAM mean more difference?

Please correct my assume.

Actually, right now I am looking at ROG Strix Gaming (250) > ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate (320) MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC (300) > Prime Pro

Would avoid Gigabyte Aorus for quality control and Crosshair 7 hero for expensive.

fubar

'Would avoid Gigabyte Aorus for quality control and Crosshair 7 hero for expensive.'
Gigabyte is okay, though. But, the Aorus Gaming 7 is preferable for the vrm and it is quality - just that the BIOS is not as 'fancy' as the other makes.

I would also consider MSI - although, they say that the voltage (offset) options aren't as good. But, I noticed that they are very good at keeping an updated BIOS version - if you like that. At the moment, they have the most recent AGESA version.

I suggest considering the Asrock Taichi - you don't need the Taichi Ultimate - I mean, the Taichi is sufficient. That board has good reviews, good VRM.... I am considering that board, myself.

The ones I'm considering:
Asrock Taichi
MSI Pro Carbon
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7
MSI Gaming M7 AC

I would pass on Asus - too many complaints. The vrms aren't good either - at least, on boards 'lower than' the Crosshair series. They also have the oldest BIOS versions.

Edit: with an X470 mobo and your cpu (2700X), it should be okay using any of the current RAM - although, it is still ideal to have Samsung B-die - but, not as significant as before - memory compatibility has matured quite a bit. It is still advised to take a look at QVL - but, practically memory from the major makes should get to the specified speeds, at least. To get the most out of the memory for AM4, go for at least 3000 or 3200 MHz memory. Ryzen is optimized for higher speed RAM.

Last edited:

CTA

Okay you are right about non ultimate (230) ... both is same feature except better wifi... and um Lan and USB power

BUT do they have power button and cms reset or other buttons? And i dont see Dual BIOS.

DR4G00N

The Taichi is pretty solid, one of the best AM4 boards. The only one comparable to it is the Asus Crosshair VI/VII Hero boards. For overclocking anyway.
I have the X370 Taichi (Essentially the same) in my daily and it's never given me a problem other than it's few bios quirks.

Mr. Friendly

the larger the VRM, the better the overclocking and stability you should have.

that said, B450 mobo's are really good and Asrock tends to have more VRM than others for similar price points as others with fewer.

fubar

the larger the VRM, the better the overclocking and stability you should have.

that said, B450 mobo's are really good and Asrock tends to have more VRM than others for similar price points as others with fewer.
That's true of their X470 series - namely the Taichi or Taichi Ultimate. I don't think they have a good B450 board. I think the best B450 boards are with MSI and maybe Gigabyte. As for Asus, maybe fair but I've read too much of negatives with Asus - especially with the lower tier stuff. Maybe the Crosshair series is okay but everything below it, seems like it has problems.

I suggest reading on mobo forums for people talking about their experiences. As far as VRM goes and B450 boards, I think the MSI Gaming Plus and Pro Carbon were among the better ones. I would take a long look at those if going with B450 - the other thing I like about the MSI boards is they have already updated to the latest AGESA BIOS version - the only ones to do so.