What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Amazon budget TKL keyboards?

sswilson

Staff member

JD

Staff member
I've seen this "brand" at Canada Computers, thought it was an in-house brand to be honest, but I guess not.

For the price, I guess there isn't much harm? But I wouldn't expect it to last as long as legit Cherry MX switches or other name brands since it seems to imply it uses "equivalent" switches.

Iamcanadian7

I bought a "Havit" branded mouse and KB for the wife. Mouse was dead within two months and the keyboard didn't even last a year. The keyboard was pretty junk as well. I would spend the extra dollars on something from a decent brand.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I use a Redragon mech keyboard at work, not TKL though. Been using it for over a year with no issues, keycap swap went fine too. The boss wasn't going to pony up for a Ducky, so slid one of these in for about $60 at the time. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switches are Outemu, a cherry clone cheaper than Gateron.

edit: The Corsair is a much better KB. I have a K63 on my wife's computer, only reason I replaced it was for size (went with a Keychron)

sswilson

Staff member
I use a Redragon mech keyboard at work, not TKL though. Been using it for over a year with no issues, keycap swap went fine too. The boss wasn't going to pony up for a Ducky, so slid one of these in for about $60 at the time. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switches are Outemu, a cherry clone cheaper than Gateron.

edit: The Corsair is a much better KB. I have a K63 on my wife's computer, only reason I replaced it was for size (went with a Keychron)

Yeah, and for some reason that package is priced really low when you consider that the keyboard by itself is typically $190+ .

Lysrin

Ive always used cheap ass keyboards. Im still using the one I got with my dell xps700 from back in 2006 lol..
What does one of these "premium" like 100$+ keyboard do for you guys? I guess you would have to try it to know eh
Mechanical from membrane keys is the big thing for me and I find the typing experience on mechanical to be superior. Not everyone loves the change. A lot of the other flashy stuff doesn't matter beyond personal taste. For me now my key features are backlit, MX brown or similar switches, and TKL.

Lysrin

@sswilson the only thing about the Corsair one, and if you have Corsair you may already have experience with this, but they have the labelling flipped on the shifted key caps. For example the number 1 is on top and the exclamation point is on the bottom. I have a Logitech that did the same thing. The argument I've read is that it is done to give the primary, non-shift key option more backlit illumination. I'm mostly a touch typer, but that still bugs me.

Small thing, yes, but just thought I would mention in case you didn't notice.

I've been very pleased with my Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S for a TKL. Newegg.ca has it for $446.98... seems totally reasonable! 😜

sswilson

Staff member
Mechanical from membrane keys is the big thing for me and I find the typing experience on mechanical to be superior. Not everyone loves the change. A lot of the other flashy stuff doesn't matter beyond personal taste. For me now my key features are backlit, MX brown or similar switches, and TKL.

This is my experience as well.