What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Amazon budget TKL keyboards?

JD

Staff member
but they have the labelling flipped on the shifted key caps.
Huh, never even cross my mind to look at such a thing. On this Razer Blackwidow v3 I just got, they're beside so it goes "1 !".

I do like the linear switches (Razer Yellow) on this though. Similar feel to my K70/MX Reds, but quieter. And the light show I get while playing Deep Rock Galactic is pretty fun :) Too bad there's not a standardized RGB API for all games to use though. Seemed like Razer has the most support but even then it's a minimal amount of games.

sswilson

Staff member
Huh, never even cross my mind to look at such a thing. On this Razer Blackwidow v3 I just got, they're beside so it goes "1 !".

I do like the linear switches (Razer Yellow) on this though. Similar feel to my K70/MX Reds, but quieter. And the light show I get while playing Deep Rock Galactic is pretty fun :) Too bad there's not a standardized RGB API for all games to use though. Seemed like Razer has the most support but even then it's a minimal amount of games.

It's not game specific, but the corsair iCue software has some interesting settings that result in various effects that radiate out from the keys you press.

JD

Staff member
It's not game specific, but the corsair iCue software has some interesting settings that result in various effects that radiate out from the keys you press.
Yeah, these are interactive events based on the game. So like if I'm out of flares, the F key goes dark until it recharges and then glows white. When I'm being attacked the keyboard flashes white in a wave sort of pattern. The number keys change colour to show which is my active weapon. I mean, it's mostly pointless as I'm not really looking at the keyboard anyhow, but you still catch it out of the corner of your eye.

At least it's giving RGB a purpose though, but I still like my rainbow cycles too!

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, these are interactive events based on the game. So like if I'm out of flares, the F key goes dark until it recharges and then glows white. When I'm being attacked the keyboard flashes white in a wave sort of pattern. The number keys change colour to show which is my active weapon. I mean, it's mostly pointless as I'm not really looking at the keyboard anyhow, but you still catch it out of the corner of your eye.

At least it's giving RGB a purpose though, but I still like my rainbow cycles too!

Oh, that's pretty cool.

How is that advertised? Is it something pushed by razer or by the game devs?

edit: Corsair games... https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=164866

edit2: hrmmmm.... https://www.project-aurora.com/

Last edited:

Lysrin

I believe Logitech does some of that too. At least it wanted to turn things on for lighting in Division 2.

JD

Staff member
Now if only it would sync to your motherboard/hub too so you'd have a nice synchronized light show banana

Urotsukidoji

OK, so full confession, I have not purchased a keyboard in about 15 years (although a few have found their way home from the office). I have this ancient black Logitech Office Pro keyboard. I had trouble even finding it on the web to show you, but here it is;

The reviews there are from 2005 :) .... so yes it's old, but I'm still typing on it right now. I love it (obviously), it types fine, never an issue, gamed with it for years and years. My only wish is for lighted keys when playing at night. I don't really care about the back light under the keys, I just need to see the damn letters.

So, I just put a new build together and thought, let's look at keyboards. .... well holy hell! Mechanical! TKL! Clicky! Linear! Tactile! Switches! ...wtf is goin' on? After hrs of educational videos, numerous reviews, and loss of sleep. I still don't know what to do. So looking for a recommendation, here is I guess what I 'm looking for.

NEEDS:
Lighted Keys
not TKL (I'm to damn old to switch)
Quiet AF (sometimes I'll game with headphones on, while my wife is 3 fee away watching TV, I can't be clickity-clacken away here)

I see a lot of the expensive boards can have a million pre-sets, and tons of different lighting features, but then I also see that the SW to control these things is often the focus of most low reviews. So, even though $300 is not out of my range, it looks like these boards will just bring me grief for features I do not care about or need. In short, I really don't need all the bells and whistles that these things have.

My current board I assume is a membrane board, and I guess I'm pretty used to it. So I'm sure I'd be fine with another. However, there aren't many out there right now, especially ones that light up, and get good reviews. I did find this:

SteelSeries Apex 3 RGB Gaming Keyboard – 10-Zone RGB Illumination – IP32 Water Resistant – Premium Magnetic Wrist Rest (Whisper Quiet Gaming Switch)

The description there makes it sound mechanical, but I believe it is membrane. If you filter the reviews for Apex 3 only, they are very positive.

I have also looked at this:
STRAFE RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Silent Switches

but then I read reviews where one person says its so quite, and the next complains about how loud it is... arg.

So, anyone know a good membrane board with lighted keys?

Or does anyone know a mechanical that is actually super quiet (maybe this does not exist) with lighted keys?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Mechanicals are always louder than membrane in my experience, regardless of switch type. There's a video up that might help some.

JD

Staff member
For what it's worth, I went from Cherry MX Red (Corsair K70), to the Razer Yellow (BlackWidow v3), and it's definitely a lot quieter. Still louder than a traditional membrane keyboard I'd say, but not drastically. Definitely not click-clack like some switches and more of a dampened sound.

Once stores re-open in Ontario, it might be worth going to CC/MemExpress and just try them out in the store. Some stores even have a little test block with all the switches and a single key of each.