What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Amazon budget TKL keyboards?

Lysrin

I've been very pleased with my Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S for a TKL. Newegg.ca has it for $446.98... seems totally reasonable! 😜
Just to clarify in case my emoji didn't make the sarcasm clear... that is totally NOT reasonable! Ships from Hong Kong lol

sswilson

Staff member
@sswilson the only thing about the Corsair one, and if you have Corsair you may already have experience with this, but they have the labelling flipped on the shifted key caps. For example the number 1 is on top and the exclamation point is on the bottom. I have a Logitech that did the same thing. The argument I've read is that it is done to give the primary, non-shift key option more backlit illumination. I'm mostly a touch typer, but that still bugs me.

Small thing, yes, but just thought I would mention in case you didn't notice.

I've been very pleased with my Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S for a TKL. Newegg.ca has it for $446.98... seems totally reasonable! 😜

Hrmmmm.... wonder what model that was/is? I just checked my K70 and it's got normal labeling (! above the 1 etc.... ).

Lysrin

Hrmmmm.... wonder what model that was/is? I just checked my K70 and it's got normal labeling (! above the 1 etc.... ).
My old K90 had normal labelling too. I was basing that comment off of the pics on the BestBuy link you posted.

sswilson

Staff member
So.... I took a fit and ordered that corsair kit from BB (confirmed but waiting for the "come pick it up" email). I'm already familiar with their line of keyboards (I have a K70) and enjoy the typing experience with them/it so it should be a good fit. It's also coming with a mouse that I'm assuming will be decent enough for general use (I'll move my G502 over to the gaming setup and use this new corsair one on my main "workstation". That effectively saves me $60+ on the bundle as I was planning on picking up a second G502.

My old K90 had normal labelling too. I was basing that comment off of the pics on the BestBuy link you posted.

Good Eye! I didn't catch that when I looked at it. I don't think it'll bother me, but who knows... I'm a touch typist as well, but the upper row punctuation is still hunt and peck so we'll see if I make a rant about the keys sometime in the new year. :)

edit: I just realised that grabbing this particular combo makes my build damn near 100% Corsair branded. The only thing missing would be memory & NVMe..... maybe they should send me some freebies in the mail and I'll stick a corsair sticker on the tempered glass... :whistle:

Izerous

Folding Team
I'm happy with my $50 mechanical keyboard (memory express daily deal). I use it in the office so the backlights etc are turned off but so much nicer to type on than the even more expensive membrane keyboard I was using. it is still however using cherry mx red switches as I prefer the lighter touch of the reds and the low noise over the feel of the blues even for typing. Some of the cheaper Amazon keyboards might be using different brands of mechanical switches as they are not all the same you might not actually be equally happy with all of them. When mechanical keybaords were fist coming back onto the market I know there was a few hybrids where say the function keys and numpad which is irrelevant if your looking at tkl would still be membrane based to cut costs. But I don't think even the cheap ones on amazon will be like that any more.

My k95 also has the normal labeling.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... we'll have to see if this mouse grows on me. I don't mind the size/grip style (reminds me a bit of my DA), but it's designed as an ambidextrous mouse and as such has buttons on both sides. The R/H buttons are disabled by default, but it's a bit unnerving to be activating them (even though they don't do anything) during normal use.

Lysrin

You'll adjust to the flipped labelling. I did on my G710+ but it still just bugged me lol

Latest posts