What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

Dwayne

I was hoping to see some reviews the day before release. I guess the YouTubers who railed against NVidia's early FE / day of AIB review embargo should all be up in arms today, right? Right?

Not a fan of reviews on the day of release. I am going to watch the reviews before I buy, even though I am committed to the platform now. But I am not happy because my delay in watching will probably mean I miss the purchase window as I have no faith in AMD to provide enough stock to satisfy all the buyers. I'm not saying it will be a "paper launch" CPUs are easier to pump out than GPUs, I think. But, I just think there will be a lot of demand, and people will just buy on spec and watch/read reviews later to validate their purchase... and hopefully not regret it.

JD

Staff member
I don't think they've even given a time as to when we can expect retailers to start selling either? I'm hoping I can grab one tomorrow, but I'm doubtful, so I will hope to have it by Christmas instead.

As for the review aspect, I think that's why AMD launched that page on their site with all the benchmarks of the NVIDIA & RDNA2 GPUs with the 5900X, kind of as a teaser as to what people can expect. I would hope their NVIDIA numbers would be relatively accurate to what "independent" reviewers will get too. But yes, this doesn't show off the CPU performance itself, rather gaming focused.

Entz

Yeah I hate the review being the same as the release date. No time to make an informed decisions.

As mentioned in the other thread one may actually want to order both say a 5800X and 5900X and return the one the reviews say align with their goals. This is of couse silly and screws up demand even further but meh what can you do. God willing we will have 10 minutes before the Canada wide stock is gone of all SKUs ...

As for the review aspect, I think that's why AMD launched that page on their site with all the benchmarks of the NVIDIA & RDNA2 GPUs with the 5900X, kind of as a teaser as to what people can expect.
The problem with this is nobody trusts AMD and Nvidia and most definitely not Intel. The half truth in marketing makes everyone second guess it. So while AMDs #s may in fact be true (or at least relative % wise) until that is confirmed nobody is going to 100% believe it.

All AMD needs to do is have third party reviews, doesn't even need to be AIB, the day before. There is no harm in it.

Entz

I don't think they've even given a time as to when we can expect retailers to start selling either? I'm hoping I can grab one tomorrow, but I'm doubtful, so I will hope to have it by Christmas instead.
This as welll. At least give us at time. Is it midnight, 4 AM , 9AM ? Its not like we can sleep in.

I can live without a video card for now but my parts are useless without a CPU :(

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
As mentioned in the other thread one may actually want to order both say a 5800X and 5900X and return the one the reviews say align with their goals. This is of couse silly and screws up demand even further but meh what can you do. God willing we will have 10 minutes before the Canada wide stock is gone of all SKUs ...
This is a prime example of why stores need to enforce a no return policy on release-day products, and perhaps the 1-of rule as well. Like MemEx did with the 3000 series gpus. Too easy to nip this in the bud at the lowest level.

Edit: Also, its interesting how our thirst for knowledge has changed to a level of entitlement expecting to know 100% about a product prior to its release. Years ago reviews didnt actually come out at all until retail availability was possible and some dude bought the product on the shelf and did the review.

(for the record I'm not saying anything for/against this, just observing how times change.)

Entz

The easy way is to have reviews before, not go live 4 minutes before stock sells out for 2 months :) Then stores don't have to do anything really.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The easy way is to have reviews before, not go live 4 minutes before stock sells out for 2 months :) Then stores don't have to do anything really.
Ah yes. I'm sure if we all had 3080 reviews a month before retail it would have prevented people buying multiples. /s

sswilson

Staff member

I'll play devil's advocate here and argue that that is how you end up with retail products which don't match up with the "ES" versions of the product that reviewers get to test.

It's only really an issue when we have supply issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10e

Entz

Ah yes. I'm sure if we all had 3080 reviews a month before retail it would have prevented people buying multiples. /s
How many people who bought multiple 3080s returned them or had an intention to return them? This is completely different. Nvidia didn't have 4 tiers launching on the same day.

Now if the 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 and all AIB and founders all launched on the same day with 0 reviews then there would be equivalence.