What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

Coach

I know it is a bit of a drive, but the Memory Express store in Winnipeg is really good. Winter is a crappy time to drive on the prairies, but you should try and get in touch with the store and see how amenable they are to holding items or bringing them in on request. When I lived in Winnipeg they were a great source, and they were very good about price matching too.

We got a MemEx on Vancouver Island, finally, but it is still a 2.5 hour drive from Courtenay.

Been to Morden at corn festival time :) good memories.
hahaha Corn & Apple! I live a few min outside of Morden :). It would be really nice if I could phone in to MemEx in WPG and have them put me on a list for a 5900x... I am not sure if they do that kind of thing.

EDIT: I will say that I like avoiding PST by ordering from CC or NE

Izerous

Folding Team
Memes has opened like 3 or 4 more locations in the last couple years. They are continuing to grow and expand. I just how they don't overstrech and implode like NCIX

JD

Staff member
Guess these are still a ways out eh? Tempting...but nahhh

1605852032885.png

Seems like today was a big 5800X day, but nobody seems to want them.

JD

Staff member
Ouch. We will have to create a new term for "Not a paper launch".
I followed that YouTube stream you posted for a bit and joined their Discord. On the YouTube chat, some people said their 5900X's shipped that they ordered earlier today. Newegg seemed to have a bunch of 5800X combos in stock too. And the 5600X was available for a while as well.

That 5800X on Amazon.com came in and out for about 3 hours based on their Discord as the first notification was 11:14PM ET.

Slowly improving I guess?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
MemEx's online store is pretty robust. Very comparable to Newegg on filtering options. Selection isn't quite as wide, but generally pretty good.

Mike's has a great rep, and their site is better than it was, but it's still not great. It's like it's halfway between the garbage heap of NCIX and the functional sites of Newegg or MemEx. Mike's is based in Ontario, so there's a good chance their shipping to Manitoba isn't brutal.
Mike's is NOT based in Ontario, their original store location was in Abbotsford, BC until it closed in September. While they do have a store in Hamilton now, I suspect that most of their stock for Eastern Canada is drop-shipped from one of their suppliers.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I haven't been tracking closely, but I think this is the first true restocking since release? So it appears to be on a two week restock timeline...but that Amazon eta isn't promising!

Ouch. We will have to create a new term for "Not a paper launch".
Wasn't the old term for this "vapourware"? I guess that was more for unreleased games/software, not hardware.

FreeKnight

Memes has opened like 3 or 4 more locations in the last couple years. They are continuing to grow and expand. I just how they don't overstrech and implode like NCIX
I feel like the foundations of Memex are a lot stronger than NCIX. Customer service is good and they're a computer parts site, they're not trying to sell clothes, and rice cookers and everything else under the sun.

Plus you can actually find things on Memex's site. NCIX looked like it belonged on geocities or was designed by yahoo around 1995.
Mike's is NOT based in Ontario, their original store location was in Abbotsford, BC until it closed in September. While they do have a store in Hamilton now, I suspect that most of their stock for Eastern Canada is drop-shipped from one of their suppliers.
Oh I stand corrected. I thought Mike's originated in Ontario. Thanks SugarJ

Bond007

Newegg.ca had a few 5600x a few min ago. It seems I got one ordered. $449 though... ouch. I was after the 5900x but oh well. This will at least get the computer built that has been waiting for over a month.
Nice, I am sure you will enjoy. The thing I can't get over is still the price increase per segment. I know they are great CPUs, but my brothers build a year ago was a 3600X for $240. 187.5% of the cost from that (albeit great price at the time) to what you got the 5600X for. That and 3700X are selling for $400 now.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Sorry if that came across a bit harsh, Abbotsford is where I grew up so I get a bit defensive when we don't get our due. It's also the home of Chase Claypool, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers (he graduated from the same high school I went to back in the day) and Adam Hadwin and Nick Taylor on the PGA tour. Back in the 70's they used to advertise it as the Strawberry Capital of Canada and even had an annual festival with a parade. :p

And I still can't seem to luck out on finding a 5600x.