What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

FreeKnight

Sorry if that came across a bit harsh, Abbotsford is where I grew up so I get a bit defensive when we don't get our due. It's also the home of Chase Claypool, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers (he graduated from the same high school I went to back in the day) and Adam Hadwin and Nick Taylor on the PGA tour. Back in the 70's they used to advertise it as the Strawberry Capital of Canada and even had an annual festival with a parade. :p

And I still can't seem to luck out on finding a 5600x.
And now it's famous for being.... the edge of Vancouver ;)

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Wasn't it also the site of a fairly large annual airshow?
Yes, although it was canceled this year. It usually sees about 300,000 attendees over the 3 days. The airport is also where Pope John Paul II had a huge outdoor mass when I was in high school. I think it was attended by ~200,000 people.

Coach

Nice, I am sure you will enjoy. The thing I can't get over is still the price increase per segment. I know they are great CPUs, but my brothers build a year ago was a 3600X for $240. 187.5% of the cost from that (albeit great price at the time) to what you got the 5600X for. That and 3700X are selling for $400 now.

I know I know. Within the last 12 months I have built 5 computers with the R5 3600. None of them was even close to $300 a pop. I guess this is what happens when a company finds firm footing as the market leader. It is not like AMD is our friend or anything...

draemn

That seems unfortunate, so re-stocking is going much slower than we were lead to believe even on the 5600x? I wonder how much was retailers making a bad guess as to what kind of stock shipments they would receive and how much is different markets getting prioritized. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-talks-ryzen-5000-launch

Memes has opened like 3 or 4 more locations in the last couple years. They are continuing to grow and expand. I just how they don't overstrech and implode like NCIX
I also hope they protect your personal data until NCIX... I had a close call not long after the old NCIX servers got randomly sold to someone.

Nice, I am sure you will enjoy. The thing I can't get over is still the price increase per segment. I know they are great CPUs, but my brothers build a year ago was a 3600X for $240. 187.5% of the cost from that (albeit great price at the time) to what you got the 5600X for. That and 3700X are selling for $400 now.
This made me skip the 5000 release. I wasn't interested in paying intel prices for CPUs. Yes, they have the performance to back it up, but I'm fine having a CPU that's 8-10% off the top of the charts if it means saving $100-200. It's great, the 3000X CPUs have generally been getting good discounts since the 5000 release.

JD

Staff member
Newegg.com had a lot of 5600X combos in stock yesterday, but it's a little shady as to why they won't sell them separately. Best Buy.com had all the models this morning. Amazon.com has had the 5800X in and out of stock throughout today again it seems.

Just Canada is getting left out like usual :(

Mr. Friendly

Newegg.com had a lot of 5600X combos in stock yesterday, but it's a little shady as to why they won't sell them separately. Best Buy.com had all the models this morning. Amazon.com has had the 5800X in and out of stock throughout today again it seems.

Just Canada is getting left out like usual :(
because BIOS updates for the older boards aren't supposed to go live until January 2021...so if people bought a CPU and then it didn't work, it leads to all sorts of headache. or at least, that's my guestimation.

Entz

Strange, but it is 2020. This guy is running 24 hr streams scrapping sites. Link below for AMD CPUs. He has links to other items like GPUs as well.

I have been watching this like many others since you posted it and its great, however the person who runs it posted the tool he uses to do this.

There are windows instructions in the wiki (https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant/wiki/Installation:-Windows) if you don't have a linux box handy. It wouldn't work under the WSL version of Ubuntu I have but YMMV.

That way you can customize it to your liking (I am looking at amazon.ca / newegg.ca only for example).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I have been watching this like many others since you posted it and its great, however the person who runs it posted the tool he uses to do this.

There are windows instructions in the wiki (https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant/wiki/Installation:-Windows) if you don't have a linux box handy. It wouldn't work under the WSL version of Ubuntu I have but YMMV.

That way you can customize it to your liking (I am looking at amazon.ca / newegg.ca only for example).
Could add in CC and memex too for a full canadiana version?

I'd be willing to host it on twitch/youtube if ya'll want

Latest posts

Twitter