What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

Coach

IMO that is going to be too much voltage for a 24/7 OC. Honestly I think just letting boost do its own thing is a good idea.

And your board won't have it yet. For Asus boards, only a couple of the ROG boards have beta bioses w/ the curve editor. Should be in the next update tho.

That is good to know. My temps are in check and not exceeding very low 70C.

When I let PBO do its thing it is kinda alarming to me. It will boost to as high as 4.775Ghz but when it does it uses upwards of 1.435v... Kinda like my 3600 system where when it boosts with PBO it is well into 1.44v

lowfat

Staff member
That is good to know. When I let PBO do its thing it is kinda alarming to me. It will boost to as high as 4.775Ghz but when it does it uses upwards of 1.435v... Kinda like my 3600 system where when it boosts with PBO it is well into 1.44v

It is high voltage plus high current that will cause silicon degradation. If you look @ TDC in Ryzen Master, when its using high voltages, the current is pretty low. But doing an all-core full load you'll see voltage drop as current is going to increase.

When the curve optimizer is out, you'll be able to fine tune the voltages for different frequencies for precision boost. It is part of Agesa, so all boards w/ overclocking will see it.

sswilson

Staff member
Did I miss something? Looking around at motherboards, I "assumed" that all B550 and X570 boards would support a 5000 series CPU out of the box no matter what bios was installed on it... newegg is showing a "might require bios update to be compatible with 5000 series zen 3" warning.....

Are there any boards which are currently guaranteed to work with 5000 series procs? (I thought we were only waiting on the B450 series boards to get bios' in Q1 2021).

edit: If that's the case, maybe I should just be looking at B450 boards + a cheap ryzen 3 to flash it with.

edit: What Ryzen "gen" are the 5XXX series processors considered to be when looking for compatibility on motherboards?

Last edited:

GeezerGamer

My understanding is the X570 motherboards require a bios update for the 5000 series CPUs. I flashed my motherboard to the new bios which was available 2 or 3 weeks ago but there is now a new revision. The 400 motherboards will get the appropriate bios early in the new year.

JD

Staff member
As always, I would make sure you get a board that has USB flashback support. Then there's no need to worry :)

I don't think anything ships with Ryzen 5000 ready BIOS though, maybe in a few more months.

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks for the info.... I've been digging a bit deeper and found this list.... not sure how accurate it is, but it's supposed to be a list of what current models have flashback support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/j7p8dd
I've been looking at the MSI B550 Tomahawk and the cheaper MPG X570 Gaming Plus both of which appear to have it (according to their manuals). They sure a hell don't make it easy to find that information... gotta have an idea of what you're looking for and dig fairly deeply into the manual.

Interestingly, there's a few B450 boards on there so I might be able to snag a slightly cheaper model as long as I'm willing to wait. Anybody know if MSI has confirmed that they're going to do updated bios' for 5000 series procs on B450s?

Entz

Yeah I think it will depend a bit on when the board was made (not sure how many sit in the channel).

On mine the BIOS support was officially released on 2‎020-09-18 (F10) but I there is zero indication on the box (or board) what version is on it (thankfully it has BIOS flashback)

JD

Staff member
They sure a hell don't make it easy to find that information...
I find it's easier to look up a picture of the IO area since generally the USB port or button has a "BIOS" label on it. I have a B550 Tomahawk here (full size ATX) and it does have it.

sswilson

Staff member
I find it's easier to look up a picture of the IO area since generally the USB port or button has a "BIOS" label on it. I have a B550 Tomahawk here (full size ATX) and it does have it.

I'm at checkout with one in the cart.... have you been happy with the board?

Latest posts

Twitter