What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

JD

Staff member
Seems there's some rumblings of a Zen 3+ refresh for Q4 this year, should I cancel this 5950X I have on order? I'm assuming summer at best, though PC-Canada hasn't shipped a single Zen 3 chip based on Reddit. I'm not even sure I'll see one at all from them...

What do you guys think my "cut off" date should be? May?

FreeKnight

Seems there's some rumblings of a Zen 3+ refresh for Q4 this year, should I cancel this 5950X I have on order? I'm assuming summer at best, though PC-Canada hasn't shipped a single Zen 3 chip based on Reddit. I'm not even sure I'll see one at all from them...

What do you guys think my "cut off" date should be? May?
If you need the new build, definitely not I can't see a Zen 3+ being anything remotely resembling available at or near release. Supply might be better by a refresh, supply might be worse, there's no guarantee.

I'm not sure the exact state of DDR5 at the moment, but might be worth considering if that will be implemented for Zen3+. I can imagine the horror stories of RAM prices and availability once it's mainstream, given what DDR4 was like and the current state of the market.

Could always give it another month or two then pull the plug if you don't have one by then.

JD

Staff member
My 3900X is fine, no "blockers" to any new build or such. Plan was to move it into my server and consolidate the 2600 and 2700X into 1, and grab like 128GB of RAM :D

5950X was supposed to hold me over until 2nd-gen of DDR5. I have half-checked out 5800Xs over the past couple days (B&H and Amazon US has had a few drops) but just can't quite bring myself to do that, though it would be totally fine for my use. I just have this $1000 motherboard here that deserves a $1000 CPU ;)

The Zen 3+ rumour seems to say it would be like the "XT" models we got with Zen 2, a minor clock speed bump to compete with Intel's 11th gen. Don't think it would be DDR5.

I suppose I can hold out "forever" but it obviously feels like diminishing returns. Logically I should just get a faster GPU, I really don't need the CPU power.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
No point in cancelling a pre-order unless you already paid.

Once they give you a call you can decide with the most current information!

Izerous

Folding Team
Looks like Memory Express just got a large shipment of 5600x CPUs. Each AB/BC/SK/MB location & online is showing 10+ in inventory. Ontario still showing out of stock

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, 5600's are starting to flood the market it looks like, and with the announcement today of the G/GE chips being released I think stock will start to stabilize.

Well, except for the illusive 5900 and 5950 of course. 🦄

belgolas

So I was able to get a 5900x and have my new PC built. The only things I kept from my old build was my GPU, PSU, RAM and one M.2 drive.

I have 4000mhz ram but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work at XMP or manually setting it to 4000mhz. It would just not post at all. I got it to be stable at 3800 mhz at 14/15/15/15/30 timings with the FCLK at 1900. So I am pretty happy with that. Using the Dram Calculator helped a lot.

The 5900x reaches a bit over 4.7ghz as well. I haven't tried pushing it but I am 100% stable right now.

Most games I don't see much of a performance lift over my 8700k but that is because my 1080 Ti is bottlenecking and I am sure if I tried benchmarking at low settings I would see a huge difference but that is not how I play games. Cinebench there is huge performance gain in both single thread and a massive gain in multi.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
im happy with this build its insane right now and will tide me over till i get ahold of a 5950x ot the zen3+ ill wait for DDR 5 Gen 2 as 128gb of DDR 4 3600 cl 14 is good enough. i have a set of 4000mhz cl 16 gskill i could test but ill wait for confirmed reports of gettin 2000mhz working lol.

Latest posts

Twitter