What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 8 core in new Surface Laptop

moocow

Rumor of 8 core AMD to be in the new Surface laptop which could be shown in October. Right now the mobile Ryzen 3000 is Zen+ and not Zen 2. As pointed out in the article, AMD just rolled out Zen+ on mobile, kind of odd to roll out Zen2 this fast. Or may be some kind of parallel existence of both platform?

Entz

Much like apple used to get special builds of intel processors (aka Iris graphics) , perhaps Microsoft is getting a special spin of Zen+ .Or they are simply confusing 8C and 8T.

Could also be a sneak launch of the Zen2 models, with availability later in the year.

JD

Staff member
Well since MS already works with AMD to design custom chips for the XBOX, I don't see why the same couldn't be applied to their Surface lineup. There's no reason they have to use off-shelf CPUs...

moocow

Much like apple used to get special builds of intel processors (aka Iris graphics) , perhaps Microsoft is getting a special spin of Zen+ .Or they are simply confusing 8C and 8T.

Could also be a sneak launch of the Zen2 models, with availability later in the year.

Well since MS already works with AMD to design custom chips for the XBOX, I don't see why the same couldn't be applied to their Surface lineup. There's no reason they have to use off-shelf CPUs...

This is certainly interesting. We know AMD does do semi-custom chips and we know the next gen consoles are Zen based. So this could be some kind of new X86 chip for mobile. There aren't many mobile device running the AMD Zen platform at the moment so AMD could be releasing something new to compete with Intel.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
This is certainly interesting. We know AMD does do semi-custom chips and we know the next gen consoles are Zen based. So this could be some kind of new X86 chip for mobile. There aren't many mobile device running the AMD Zen platform at the moment so AMD could be releasing something new to compete with Intel.
whatever happens, it is curious! :D

JD

Staff member
iunno. Surface sells, but I'm not sure it sells enough to qualify the additional cost of a special run CPU.
Well there's the older rumour of a Qualcomm based device too which they worked closely with them on. I think MS uses Surface as a platform to showcase what Windows can do, it's more of a marketing strategy than anything else I think.

It would be pretty interesting if they took the chip from the new XBOX One ("Scarlett") and use that in the Surface. Doing a 8 core SoC with Navi would surely shake things up! They could then go after the whole cross-play aspect too and compete with things like Google Stadia and GeForce Now.

...wild dreams, I know...

JD

Staff member
Wow, two custom CPUs out of MS today, the Microsoft SQ1 (Qualcomm) and this AMD Ryzen 7 Surface edition. Will be interesting to know the specs on it once those leak out, but appears to only be Zen+.

Looks like a pretty solid lineup and the new dual-screen Duo/Neo devices due 2020 holiday season too seem interesting. Not quite what I thought of a "Surface Phone", but I guess the trend is towards these dual-screen designs.

Bond007

I wonder if it will be a rebadged version of another cpu, or a truly unique model. I can’t picture there being enough volume for it being very “custom”.

Latest posts