What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD B550A motherboard

moocow

GN got their hands on an ASRock B550AM motherboard. Quick summary:
  1. OEM only, for now anyway, not sure if we can even buy it
  2. PCI-E Gen 4 supported on first PCI-E x16 slot
  3. ASRock board appear to be a new design instead of a rehashed B450 board

Entz

Yeah I don't get it either.

I wonder if the single gen4 x16 is a 550A (OEM aka cost sensitive) thing or if it will be the same for the normal 550. Not that it really maters for the target market (if you truly need multiple Gen4s you prob have the cash to get them) and ITX certainly wont care.

moocow

Hard to say. For sure the OEM has a hand in it to get a new generation numbering out to push out rigs. We already seen this with the lower tier GPUs. Also, the only thing taking advantage of PCI-E gen 4 are storage and GPU. Once you plugged in a GPU and a good size NVME drive, do you really need more PCI-E gen 4 lanes? While I suspect the newer capture cards could take advantage of Gen 4, right now most of us don't. I personally would take more lanes over a new generation of lanes but that really is usage dependent. Pro users would probably go with X570 already (multi GPU for calculations or multi high speed NVME).

moocow

Have you seen any testing on GPUs with pcie 3 vs 4 ?
I originally meant specification wise not performance wise. I recall seeing something about 5500XT perform a bit slower in PCI-E 3.0? But the conclusion is that because the VRAM is so small that switching to a faster lane speed really helped in that case. Other than that, I haven't seen any usual reviewers actually doing the test.

Also found this video (with just charts overlay on top of some in game footage and lousy music). It shows 5700XT had a tad better performance in PCI-E 4.0.

Latest posts

Twitter