What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD build opinions - Photoshop/gaming PC for my niece

Lysrin

I've read through a lot of what has already been said on here about putting together an AMD build. Based on that info I've been trying to spec a build for my niece. She's coming from I think an i7 920 or similar vintage. This is the use case she's given me (her words):

- have lots of storage space
- be able to play sims and similar games to that (but I don’t play games like overwatch)
- I would like it to have really nice looking graphics :)
- use Photoshop programs

She also needs WiFi, I am going to reuse her case, optical drive, etc. and her monitor that she's keeping is 1080p and she is good with that. She does a lot of Photoshop photography work/hobby, some video, and the Sims 4 that she plays is modded like crazy!

Her budget is around $1,500 CAD but a bit flexible.

I've read that Photoshop likes cores, but there is a diminishing return for the cost past 6-8 cores.

List for what I've put together so far:

PCPartPicker Part List:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bcPqmg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($148.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.94 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($429.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($172.50 @ Vuugo)

Total: $1451.39

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 21:48 EST-0500

Some specific things I'm uncertain about:

1. Getting her "lots of storage". I had a 2TB spin drive in for secondary storage, given the price, but then read that Photoshop likes SSDs (what doesn't?) But getting her storage on SSDs is more expensive obviously. Still I'd rather stick to SSDs. Opinions on that?

2. 2700X vs a 3600 or even 3700X? Worth pushing the budget to get into the 3000 series?

3. X570 board for a bit of future-proofing?

4. Power supply is likely a bit much, I've just had very good success with EVGA.

I'm not unfamiliar with building PCs but I haven't done AMD, and where she's family I'd like it to work really well for her. So I figured it would be a wise choice to include your guys' expertise once again!

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I think those Seasonic Focus PSUs are cheaper than that EVGA, $172.50 seems a lot.

RTX 2060 seems a bit overkill too? I think a 1660 Ti would be fine.

I don't think a 3600 is worthwhile since you'd lose 2 cores, the 3700X might still be found for $410, but that's still double what a 2700X costs (for BF sales at least).

For what it's worth, I've had 1 really sketchy hiccup with my HP EX950 1TB, the drive just disappeared entirely but came back after a reboot. The ADATA SX8200 Pro in my other system has not suffered from any issues. Both bought at the same time, and I believe both using the same controller.

Lysrin

Yeah I wondered about the 2060. Hard to get my mind out of "must have more graphics power!" mode :)

I'll check out the Seasonic stuff some more too. Thanks JD.

That Neo RAM is good for AMD though right? I believe it was you in another thread that recommended it.

Prickly007

2. 2700X vs a 3600 or even 3700X? Worth pushing the budget to get into the 3000 series?

I never looked at the 3700X at all, beyond my budget/needs. But the 2700x vs 3600 debate, hands down the 2700X.

3. X570 board for a bit of future-proofing?

Not sure. But the last two times I researched MBs, I was not impressed by the Tuff line. What about the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC)? It's $244 @ amazon.ca, Hero boards tend to have the best VRMs, which I read is important with Ryzen.

As to storage, does not Photoshop like scratch disks? Maybe a HDD, plus smaller SSD?

Lysrin

That Crosshair board definitely a contender. Just picked the TUF because years ago they were good, durable, long warranty. She'll likely to have this PC for a good while. And it was a bit cheaper. But if the VRM is better and TUF isn't what it used to be then I'll switch it out.

Photoshop does like scratch disks from what I read. Just figured SSD would be better regardless. But if HDD is good for that could certainly be larger for less! I'm not a Photoshop user anymore so that's all new research for me.

Thanks for that link too. Pretty clear endorsement there.

Prickly007

Thanks for that link too. Pretty clear endorsement there.

No problem, researching this stuff is time consuming and there are fewer and fewer written reviews. :(

I can't find the info that I looked at a few days, which was in colour-coded Portuguese (???), but similar info on VRMs can be found here and here. The issue with the Tuf line, in general, as I recall, is that the armour traps the heat in. BTW, how much airflow does the old case have?

My comments on Photoshop should be taken with a bag of salt. I don't use it that much and, when I do, it's on a Intel 900p.

Lysrin

I need to check out the old case actually. It's nothing special I don't think so average airflow at best.

Lysrin

I ordered that RAM I listed in my first post for the 2700X but I went with an X570 board. Then read that 2700X can't run that speed of RAM, after the fact I read that... Had to go with the TUF board after all due to budget and features. She won't be overclocking so hoping VRM won't be a big issue.

Do you think I'll have issues getting that to work or it'll just run the RAM slower?

Lysrin

I ordered that RAM I listed in my first post for the 2700X but I went with an X570 board. Then read that 2700X can't run that speed of RAM, after the fact I read that... Had to go with the TUF board after all due to budget and features. She won't be overclocking so hoping VRM won't be a big issue.

Do you think I'll have issues getting that to work or it'll just run the RAM slower?

No comment... Hmm ominous :D I guess I'll find out when the parts arrive and report back!

Latest posts