What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review Comment Thread

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
What are you using 16 cores for? Rendering pron? :rofl:

Jk jk. You probably have a legit use for it.
This is folding 24/7 using 32 cores. And 4Door has 1 folding 24/7 with 48 cores.
Check our sigs... :thumb:

edit: :ph34r:'ed...

terrybear

Banned
Just to touch back on this topic/debate further. According to a recent post on xbitlabs, a former amd/ati engeneer claims there is a valid reason why the bulldozer is coming off so badly right now. Apparently the design was not done by hand but assisted by software. According to him back in the day when he tried it out himself, everything he asked them to do came back 20% slower & larger then any of the hand refined designs he had on the same thing.

Given this new information .... IF that is the case then they definately f'ed up large then cause factoring those things into what we see currently would put the dozer righ there for shure with at least the 2600k class intel chips.

YukonTrooper

Phew, that changes everything then. Bulldozer systems will definitely be faster now with that extra, speculative 20%.

terrybear

Banned
Phew, that changes everything then. Bulldozer systems will definitely be faster now with that extra, speculative 20%.
Did you not read my post properly .... I said the engineer said because they software built it back then when he was still working for them that its why its not preforming as suspected. AND like i was pointing out cause of the software design diffrence he saw vs hand refined design.

What would the current dozer be like with 20% less die/transistors & 20% more preformance .... ALOT more of what they projected for it .... to be equal to a 2600K intel cpu.

Sagath

Staff member
Did you not read my post properly .... I said the engineer said because they software built it back then when he was still working for them that its why its not preforming as suspected. AND like i was pointing out cause of the software design diffrence he saw vs hand refined design.

What would the current dozer be like with 20% less die/transistors & 20% more preformance .... ALOT more of what they projected for it .... to be equal to a 2600K intel cpu.
I think his direct sarcasm went right over your head actually. He read your post just fine.

Speculation of 20% faster means jack. Why? Because the chip is real, and in retail channels, and it doesnt contain that 20%, so who cares. :blarg:

AkG

More importantly...it means you can kiss any real tweaking at the silicon level good bye. They wont take the time to redesign (by hand) and re-spin it....they will simply put the man hours into the NEXT gen / bulldozer replacement.
Got to wonder if this was the real reason a certain head honcho left as they knew it was going to under-perform...but it was too late and had to push it out the door.

The upside is IF that is indeed the case, they may have learned their lesson and the next one in the lineup will NOT be a dud....hopefully.

Latest posts

Twitter