What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review Comment Thread

Killswitch

Sweet baby Jesus. I hope Windows 8 can allow bulldozer to pull some performance out it's ass. There's really no hope otherwise. Phenom needed a refresh before it was any decent, and as already pointed out that's not happening any time soon in this case.

IMO there's no real reason for anyone to jump to an AM3+ platform now. Just update your bios, get a Thuban and call it a day.... or just overclock the hell out a Phenom II.... or go Intel. :ph34r:

JJThomp

At the end of the day I think bulldozer is a step in the right direction. Looking at other reviews BD beat i7 2600k in BF3. I know it's the beta and all but at the end of the day multi-threaded applications are the future of processing.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I honestly think those BF3 tests are flawed. IMO, BF3 performance is anything but set until the final build is released.

uwish

fair comment, but even if performance improved 25% in one game the FX is still an epic fail.

Eldonko

Nice review MAC, very well done. Love the comparos in the conclusion. Kinda sad about the results myself, all those years for this? I guess the question is, why would anyone buy BD over SB?

MARSTG

... I guess the question is, why would anyone buy BD over SB?
I guess the only reason now would be just to show you are an avid fan. And probably a good -bigadv folder for a lazy windows setup. myself I am more and more contemplating the idea of building a platform with an X6 BE and doing it over Linux.

Rasparthe

Nice review MAC, very well done. Love the comparos in the conclusion. Kinda sad about the results myself, all those years for this? I guess the question is, why would anyone buy BD over SB?
Price. For those with heavy threaded apps and disgruntled overclockers sick of the downright rudimentary overclocking of SB. Pretty narrow market. Unfortunate, good competition makes everyone win.

Eldonko

Price? A 2500k is $200 and will oc easy to at least 4.5Ghz. 2500k performance at 4.5Ghz will blow any BD chip out of the water in 99% of tasks. For the very small minority that run something with 8 threads sure you can save a few $ with BD but why not just spring a few more and get 2600k and have better performance for the other 99% of tasks as well?

upcoast604

Seems like a flop, on the upside am3+ boards support native sli and cpu has 2 extra cores, some good came out of it but I don't see it being enough.

Twitter