What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review Comment Thread

chrisk

Folding Captain
Your friend isnt imagining things. Its the mobo. Honestly, I am so fed up with AMD and TRIM on my 890 that my next rig WILL be Intel. Either 2011 or 1155..not sure which as I wont be buying before the new year. For AMD rigs now I basically tell anyone who asks me: "Dont count on TRIM. Buy a SSD that can take care of itself". It makes things easier as the Crucial M4 (my new fav) fits the bill perfectly...making it my number one choice for both AMD and Intel rigs. :thumb:

Thanks again. Taking cost of of the equation, is the M4 a better and 'more reliable' solution than the new Intel drives? Assuming a TRIM aware system?

AkG

This is OT and I apologize to the community in advance... but since it was asked.....

The Intel 320 is basically an upgraded X25-m (might as well call this one the X25m gen 3). Great bang for your buck drive...but I wouldnt put it in the same category as the M4 where its a sata 2. BUT it is great for its price (actually its one of my main picks for rigs where sata 2 is the only option...or only option where sata 6gb/s ports result in NO trim). ;)

The Intel 510 is basically the same as M4 except it uses a custom firmware (like crucial, Intel rolls thier own firmware). The biggest dif is the firmware has over-provisioning built in (with all SSDs...I format them smaller then they. For example my 256GB M4 is a 220GB'er in my 890 to give LOTS of room for firmware to work with..but I am ULTRA conservative and never fill a drive to more than 60-70 percent. As Tony on OCZ once said: when I need more room, I stick in a bigger drive.). Biggest thing the 510 has is 5K erase cycle nand. Of course, peeps have proven that Crucial is being ultra conservative with their 3K specification and have used a M4 to well over 5K avg...and its still kicking.

Is the increase in price of the 510 worth it over the M4? Depends. Both have killer CS, both have great firmware...both are great drives. So its all personal pref which way to go. Personally I consider them both to be best in class on long term reliability and performance. YMMV

If you mean the upcoming 520 / 710 / 720...no idea. Wont know till they officially land.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Thanks AkG. A little OT, but with AMD trim issues, a discussion of suitable SSDs for bulldozer's platform is not totally off base. :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Actually given the level (lack) of support for TRIM with AMD, I am not adverse to this kind of discussion given all the issues. Good to know AkG.

-ST

MARSTG

In the days following Oct 12 211, on newegg.ca, the canadian retailer that was offering them at the cheapest, the Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T went up in price, 5$ each. The 1100T also lost the free shipping. I wonder why.

sswilson

Staff member
In the days following Oct 12 211, on newegg.ca, the canadian retailer that was offering them at the cheapest, the Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T went up in price, 5$ each. The 1100T also lost the free shipping. I wonder why.

Considering they're supposed to be EOL before the end of the year, I'd buy one up quick before there aren't any left........

techman95

Considering they're supposed to be EOL before the end of the year, I'd buy one up quick before there aren't any left........

i might just go buy one or two more 1090's just incase i kill mine with my shenanigans :biggrin:

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... wonder if they're actually moving any BD stock other than the ones preordered and sold in the first few days.....

Latest posts