What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD CPU upgrade from Athlon 4x 640 3k to Phenom II x6 2.9g 1065T-95, maybe 3.4 later?

jrstrong69

I've looked everywhere, and I feel I may have 'bricked' my BIOS, so I need to attach a 6.11 or 6.11a bios to 'flash' the HP 6710f with a USB drive first!

After looking everywhere, I think I'm also needing to find some 'special' bios to get the x6 working in this x4 bios machine, it was 6.11?

PSU 450 antec, 16gb 1333 1600, 128 SSD, msi 1g vram, everything else original!

HELP?

moocow

Why do you think you brick the BIOS? What did you do exactly? Can you even boot the machine and get into BIOS? If not then I don't think you can flash the BIOS without a chip reader / programmer. On HP's website, for that specific model, I only see 6.11 and 6.07. It looks like you will need another PC to download the tool then run the exe file to create a bootable USB drive. Also, the release notes doesn't out right say you need the update to support X6. The product page say it does so already. Do you currently have a X6 10xx CPU on hand already?

jrstrong69

Yes, I bought an AMD Phenom II x6 2.9 ghz 1065T (95 watt version), inexpensively, hoping to upgrade my formerly functioning athlon II x4 640 3k!

I've seen 6.11 is the latest version, but I've also seen a 6.11a mentioned?

I can't get ANYTHING from the a640...
The light on the motherboard comes on, the fans start, a win10pro CD begins churning, but NOTHING ELSE! NO esc. no F10, f1,2,9? NOTHING...

I feel I need to 'create' a USB drive to 'flash' some default bios, or ....?

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like I tried to 'flash' the bios with something inside win10, not at a core level?

That why I think I may have 'bricked' the bios?

I'm conversing with you know on my HP elitedesk i7-4790 3.6ghz?

Jeff

Izerous

Folding Team
Seems silly to ask at this stage but have you forcefully cleared the CMOS?

And bios work should be done outside of windows when ever possible.

moocow

The product page say it got an integrated GPU, do you have another GPU card plugged into the PCI-E 16 slot? If so, reset the BIOS like Izerous said then switch your video cable from the GPU card to to motherboard. Also, it say it has a 250W PSU, is that going to be enough to boot the machine if a X6 is in there?

jrstrong69

you forcefully cleared the CMOS?

No, I have not, I was refined on the former MacOS classic <9, up to MacOS 10.2.8, but I rather naive on the 'pirated' Windoze?

jrstrong69

And bios work should be done outside of windows when ever possible.

I know, now?

Izerous

Folding Team
you forcefully cleared the CMOS?

No, I have not, I was refined on the former MacOS classic <9, up to MacOS 10.2.8, but I rather naive on the 'pirated' Windoze?
CMOS is irrelevant to OS but specific to motherboard the steps are usually something like...

Turn computer off and unplug
Pop CMOS battery out (the small coin sized battery on the motherboard)
move a jumper usually near the battery for 10-20 seconds then put it back (not any jumper but a specific jumper)
put the battery back in
turn it back on

Its what stores your actual BIOS customizations etc. Clearing it usually step 1 to fixing a lot of BIOS specific issues.

jrstrong69

Turn computer off and unplug
Pop CMOS battery out (the small coin sized battery on the motherboard)
move a jumper usually near the battery for 10-20 seconds then put it back (not any jumper but a specific jumper)
put the battery back in
turn it back on

Its been 10-20 minutes out, but WHERE IS THIS JUMPER? the $5 aliexpress.com wifi minicard. Or a 2260 m.2 or nvme card?

Attachments