What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD CPU upgrade from Athlon 4x 640 3k to Phenom II x6 2.9g 1065T-95, maybe 3.4 later?

Izerous

Folding Team
I have been letdown by Dell for this exact same thing. I had a xenon board that I picked up for cheap. The chipset was supposed to be compatible with the CPUs I had from a computer that was constantly throwing RAID errors (suspected bad controller). Everything was supposed to be compatible but dell never bothered to release the BIOS for it to support those specific CPUs.

KaptCrunch

Question is your cmos chip soldered or socket on MB

Socket : can find spares or Ebay

Soldered : cmos chip can piggyback a programmed bios chip
Firmware that's for your MB

That if you want revive MB

KaptCrunch

I have been letdown by Dell for this exact same thing. I had a xenon board that I picked up for cheap. The chipset was supposed to be compatible with the CPUs I had from a computer that was constantly throwing RAID errors (suspected bad controller). Everything was supposed to be compatible but dell never bothered to release the BIOS for it to support those specific CPUs.
Probably due to limitations of MB tracks to chipset. A hype moment

jrstrong69

I DON'T know, but you may! Are these 2 alv611 and alv607.rom files I have for the Alvorix board, and an unnamed 6.11A.rom file for the Aloe board?

jrstrong69

CMOS is socketed and I've already removed it, and the bios is 'probably programmed' onto the top chip of the 3 larger black 'squares' in the picture?

I can 'buy' another alvorix board still (from 2010), but I'm trying to find a way short of this?

I'm 'waiting' on an HP 410y board with a Phenom 1045 x6 CPU that I can just 'transplant' ALL my accessories to? I've still got a Phenom 1065T (95 watt) that I tried to upgrade my Athlon II 640 from.... Which 'may' be for sale?

Attachments

• 6710biosChip.JPG
    6710biosChip.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1

jrstrong69

CMOS is socketed and I've already removed it, and the bios is 'probably programmed' onto the top chip of the 3 larger black 'squares' in the picture?

I can 'buy' another alvorix board still (from 2010), but I'm trying to find a way short of this?

I'm 'waiting' on an HP 410y board with a Phenom 1045 x6 CPU that I can just 'transplant' ALL my accessories to? I've still got a Phenom 1065T (95 watt) that I tried to upgrade my Athlon II 640 from.... Which 'may' be for sale?
I'm just 'hypothesizing' like my father always does, so I'm wondering if there is ANY way to just by pass the bios entirely, by installing and booting Win10pro from a NIC card in one of my 3 PCIe 1.0 slots? In UEFI fashion, since I just read that someone decided NOT to UEFI a 2009 machine (for some Linux reasons) that was possible, and my 6710f is from 2010...

Attachments

• 6710biosChip.JPG
    6710biosChip.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2

moocow

I strongly recommend you either ditch the machine and just build a new one or go to Aliexpress or eBay to find a replacement board. If you really want to play with it, then buy a chip programmer but make sure you got the right chip clamp by getting the BIOS chip's physical size format correctly. You first need to know who made the chip and find the correct BIN file to write to the chip. You also need to be careful about what voltage the chip uses. You will fry your chip if you're not careful.

Don't fiddle around with the BIOS / UEFI idea.
  • You can't boot off a NIC. NIC is Network Interface Card. You can't install anything on it.
  • Your motherboard probably doesn't support booting off PCI-E anyway so no point in getting a SATA / mSATA / NVME m2 storage adapter to plug into the PCI-E
  • BIOS to UEFI sounds like a very high level thing that most of us here never experimented with

KaptCrunch

why need a programmer
IF have a working MB with a CMOS socket with same amount pins
Note where key is on chip (triangle) have a chip pull tool handy.

collect bios file @ wimsbios
boot working MB (32bit) in dos remove CMOS CHIP an replace old CMOS wanted to program using hotflash bios Note: can't find it but that was the name
might find it on drivers guide for hotflash would force any file wanted to program so be sure have correct file to flash and select flash only no defaults loaded, once done power off by pull plug and replace orginal chip rember the key location to incert correct and take programed to dead MB do same key