What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD CPU upgrade from Athlon 4x 640 3k to Phenom II x6 2.9g 1065T-95, maybe 3.4 later?

moocow

boot working MB (32bit) in dos
If he got a working mobo, then there's no need to even do a hotflash and just plug in his old X4 then call it a day? If he's going to find the same mobo, may as well buy a better retail board instead of OEM board. Unless he doesn't want to pay for Windows and other applications again and just straight restore the old X4. If he wants to use the new X6, then he will need a new board anyway since the old one doesn't seem to support it.

jrstrong69

I got a 'replacement/non-bricked' Alvorix board WITH a Phenom II x6 1045 cheap, and it took me <6 hrs to transfer EVERYTHING over from my Athlon II x4 640! Its a not much, but a little faster, primarily from the 6mb L3 cache, which help its 'responsiveness?' So far, I've ONLY noticed a lot less 'rotating cursor wheels' between webpages????

I'm a non-CS major, so I'm latently realizing that I probably need to find some cheap asus or asrock motherboard to replace the alvorix with?

That way, I'd be able to 'fool' with the overclocking of this 1045 (or this 1065 95 watt) that I have, the 1045 will upclock to 3.78 or the 1065 probably to 4+?

Any non-CS 'directions' would be appreciated?

Jeff

moocow

If you're looking for overclock, better to post it under that section. You will need to find something like Asus Crosshair IV to support overclocking. I never overclock myself so not too familiar with the process.

clshades

those Phenoms were never really stable overclocked unless you had top shelf ram anyway. There's no XMP support so it's basically figure it out and hope for the best. You'll suffer many BSOD's trying... been there done that.