What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD DID IT! This Ryzen 9 Notebook Is AMAZING - Zephyrus G14 Review

sswilson

Staff member
I don't mind 15", but personally find 17" wayyyy too unwieldy for a laptop format unless it's a "I'm never going to move this" desktop replacement, but at that point I'd question why you wouldn't just grab a decent monitor if it's going to be in a fixed location.

Entz

It depends massively on weight as well though. I really don't mind the blade size or ideally the GS65 which is within a 1/2 a lb. For gaming your going to have it on a desk anyways less you burn a hole in your pants.

You tend to give up on expansion with a 14". I really wish this had 2 ram slots. This with 64gb would actually make for an amazing work machine lol.

Really wish there was more than 1 design at launch, especially in the HS line, but world being what it is... apparently this embargo moved very recently according to Anandtech and not everyone was told :cautious: Go AMD PR

JD

Staff member
You tend to give up on expansion with a 14". I really wish this had 2 ram slots. This with 64gb would actually make for an amazing work machine lol.
Yeah, some odd design decisions here. My AW13R3 has dual M.2 slots as well as the dual DIMMs, both readily accessible by removing the bottom cover. It seemed like there was enough space in there to do it as well.

Hopefully we'll see some other companies put out their models soon too.

dewidaniels

How noisy is the Zephyrus G14 and how much quieter is the Lenovo Legion 7i?

I'm looking for a new work laptop to replace a 14" Dell 7440. I'm torn between the Zephyrus G14 and the Legion 7i. I like the size of the Zephyrus G14 but worried it might be noisy under load. I like the screen on the Lenovo Legion 7i (bigger and brighter) and I really like the fact you can buy a three year on-site, next business day warranty, but worried about the extra size and weight compared to the Dell.

The specs I'm considering are Ryzen 7, RTX 2060, 14" 120 Hz FHD, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD for the Zephyrus G14 and Core i7-10750H, RTX 2070, 15.6" 144 Hz FHD, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD for the Legion 7i.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Why wouldnt you consider the G15 then? You're comparing a 14" laptop to a 15", not to mention a different processor and GPU...

These really arnt even remotely similar.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
How noisy is the Zephyrus G14 and how much quieter is the Lenovo Legion 7i?

I'm looking for a new work laptop to replace a 14" Dell 7440. I'm torn between the Zephyrus G14 and the Legion 7i. I like the size of the Zephyrus G14 but worried it might be noisy under load. I like the screen on the Lenovo Legion 7i (bigger and brighter) and I really like the fact you can buy a three year on-site, next business day warranty, but worried about the extra size and weight compared to the Dell.

The specs I'm considering are Ryzen 7, RTX 2060, 14" 120 Hz FHD, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD for the Zephyrus G14 and Core i7-10750H, RTX 2070, 15.6" 144 Hz FHD, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD for the Legion 7i.
it probably will be higher in price...but consider how Lenovo just leaked there will be a ThinkPad T15p GAMING notebook with the 2070 or 2080.

dewidaniels

If I were to go for a 15.6" laptop, the Legion 7i is more appealing to me than the Zephyrus G15 because the Lenovo comes with the option of a 3 year on-site warranty.

I realise I'm comparing a 14.0" laptop with a 15.6" laptop, but they are a similar price. I have a 14" Dell at the moment, so the Zephyrus G14 would be a more direct replacement. However, I'm concerned that the review of the Zephyrus G14 said, "The G14 unfortunately is not a silent or quiet gaming laptop, because the fans ramp up significantly when you put it through a gaming load or anything that has to do with rendering or any sort of multi-core workload". The review of the Legion 7i said, "the 7i is actually one of the quietest notebooks that we have come across". I'm trying to decide whether the better thermals and the 3 year on-site warranty of the Legion 7i would make it worth lugging around a heavier laptop.

My question is, how noisy is the Zephyrus G14 and how much quieter is the Legion 7i?

dewidaniels

Last edited:

Entz

it probably will be higher in price...but consider how Lenovo just leaked there will be a ThinkPad T15p GAMING notebook with the 2070 or 2080.
I seen that. Could be amazing but I worry about cooling. Save for the P52 (or whatever its called now) they tend to have issues with dedicated GPUs (see the extreme and the 1650) let alone something higher.

The legion is one of the best cooled laptop of this generation and it hits ~54dba in "performance" mode. The G14 hits 49.7 . Both from HWC reviews. So in that regard the G14 is actually quieter. Though the legion you can run in lower modes without much of an issue.

Expect it to be loud when hitting it hard while gaming. That's just the reality with these thin and light gaming notebooks.

Latest posts