What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed AMD Dragon

JD

Staff member
This build loosely follows the whole AMD "Dragon" Platform concept since it'll have the Phenom II, AMD chipset and ATI graphics. It's to replace my dad's current machine which is a E6420, P5N-E SLI, HD4890.

New parts:

• AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
  • Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
  • G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO (2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.35V)
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
  • Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE

And a few "old" parts:

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD4890
  • Antec TruePower Quattro 850W (might need to RMA this though if it starts whining...)
  • HT Omega Claro

All of which will all be going into a Cooler Master HAF932 AMD Edition (thanks FiXT!). Very suiting case for this build, follows the whole AMD vision pretty well. Guess it should have HD5000 series graphics though :whistle:

It will possibly have the CPU water cooled in the near future. All I really need is another pump and it'd be good to go since I have a MCR220, D-TEK FuZion v2, bits of tubing, fittings and a reservoir. But for now, it'll be good ol' stock cooling.

Last edited:

Delavan

Godspeed on that new build JD!

It loosely follows the whole AMD "Dragon" Platform concept since it'll have the Phenom II, AMD chipset and ATI graphics.

Just wondering...is there any dividend from going all "Dragon"? I mean the whole AMD architecture. Is there any "hidden" advantage (read performance) to go all AMD/ATI?

These hexacore CPUs are making a lot of people at least "consider" AMD as an option for a new machine.

Guess it should have HD5000 series graphics though :whistle:

Fully agree on that one! A HD5850 for ya? That would be a nice upgrade over the HD4890!!!
Try to sell that E6420/mobo/GFX card to get the HD5850!

JD

Staff member
Well it's not for me personally, I have my i7 + HD5870 :thumb:

Not really sure if there's any performance benefit. I'm guessing not, but it's hard to say. There's no possible apples-to-apples comparisons that I could do.

And the sale of the E6420 setup (full PC w/ 8800GTS) will help fund the AMD X6/mobo/RAM/etc. So the graphics will have to wait. Maybe a Christmas present or something. He wants to play the new NFS, so if the HD4890 can't cope, then it'll get upgraded.

JD

Staff member
Well the case showed up thanks to HWC/FiXT! And in case you're wondering, it was the one that was reviewed on here.

Here's a couple quick pictures. I'll do more once the entire system is built and get my camera settings a bit better.

mo' power

It'll be great to see the finished product. I have the same case still sitting in the box. Looking forward to more pics!

Latest posts