What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz Comment Thread!!

The RealRollo

Banned
FUD

As some one that owns a 9370 and runs its at 9590 speed, it does not dump tons of heat.

Hardware Canucks Review said:
The FX-9590 is a hot running processor and we don’t mean hot in any conventional meaning of the word either. This thing is like having a miniature nuclear reactor strapped to your motherboard; it will thoroughly overwhelm mid-tier heatsinks and AIO water coolers alike.

Sesame St - Cookie Monster - One of These Things Is Not Like The Other - YouTube

AkG

Yeah....one is using it under normal operating conditions...the other is maxing it out continuously. Sky is blue, water is wet. Many peeps use 200w CPUS...we just call them 'over-clocked'. ;)

Drop a decent high end cooler on it...and call it a day.

Would I want to spend that kind of money on a slower CPU...nope. But at 3 bills it would be decent option. 4 though...is pushing it.

The RealRollo

Banned
Yeah....one is using it under normal operating conditions...the other is maxing it out continuously. Sky is blue, water is wet. Many peeps use 200w CPUS...we just call them 'over-clocked'.
That is sort of a double edged sword, don't you think? At the highly threaded apps FX-9590 will be "OK" for it will be running in the "mini nuclear reactor" mode with all 8 cores churning along and heating the thing up till the water in your cooler boils. At the "normal use" single threaded apps where it fails hard it will have more manageable thermal characteristics.

Also this thing is whipped to within and inch of it's life to get near intel mid range performance at stock speeds. If you OC an intel chip to these levels of power use, you have a much higher performing part.

Drop a decent high end cooler on it...and call it a day.
OK but that doesn't change what I said being right. You're still just transferring that heat off the chip and into the room, and you are doing it with fans running at higher speeds than you would with an intel part.

When I got the two GTX480 GPUs I had to buy a CoolerMaster HAF932 case to run them- "higher end cooling". With them, it was worth dumping that heat in the room, buying that high end cooling, because I got the highest end performance in return.

Would I want to spend that kind of money on a slower CPU...nope. But at 3 bills it would be decent option. 4 though...is pushing it.
Even at $300 it's no competition for a 3770K or 4770K. A person buying this is basically saying "Gee, I don't mind having less performance, more heat, higher electricity bills, more primitive motherboards, because......ummm......well....I'm at 5GHz!".

AMD CPUs don't add up anymore, and that's why no one is buying them.

Soultribunal

Staff member
That is sort of a double edged sword, don't you think? At the highly threaded apps FX-9590 will be "OK" for it will be running in the "mini nuclear reactor" mode with all 8 cores churning along and heating the thing up till the water in your cooler boils. At the "normal use" single threaded apps where it fails hard it will have more manageable thermal characteristics.

Also this thing is whipped to within and inch of it's life to get near intel mid range performance at stock speeds. If you OC an intel chip to these levels of power use, you have a much higher performing part.

OK but that doesn't change what I said being right. You're still just transferring that heat off the chip and into the room, and you are doing it with fans running at higher speeds than you would with an intel part.

When I got the two GTX480 GPUs I had to buy a CoolerMaster HAF932 case to run them- "higher end cooling". With them, it was worth dumping that heat in the room, buying that high end cooling, because I got the highest end performance in return.

Even at $300 it's no competition for a 3770K or 4770K. A person buying this is basically saying "Gee, I don't mind having less performance, more heat, higher electricity bills, more primitive motherboards, because......ummm......well....I'm at 5GHz!".

AMD CPUs don't add up anymore, and that's why no one is buying them.

Rollo,

The Old Q6600 and some of the Prescotts used to be the same way thermally, but we managed. Unless you live in a tiny poorly ventilated room the heat is a non-issue. I folded with GX2's (8 of them) and a Myraid of other cards and because the room got circulation I never had thermal issues.
I think you are making more of a deal on something than it needs to be. Sure, performance vs Intel is lacking in applications, that's fine, people will buy what they will buy regardless of what you or I have to say in the matter.
But this obsession with High Thermals is not exclusive to them.
Look at Haswell mate, you clock that just a bit and it is no different. They are hot chips, very hot chips. Where is your complaint or comparison about those?

-ST

The RealRollo

Banned
Rollo,

The Old Q6600 and some of the Prescotts used to be the same way thermally, but we managed. Unless you live in a tiny poorly ventilated room the heat is a non-issue. I folded with GX2's (8 of them) and a Myraid of other cards and because the room got circulation I never had thermal issues.
I think you are making more of a deal on something than it needs to be. Sure, performance vs Intel is lacking in applications, that's fine, people will buy what they will buy regardless of what you or I have to say in the matter.
But this obsession with High Thermals is not exclusive to them.
Look at Haswell mate, you clock that just a bit and it is no different. They are hot chips, very hot chips. Where is your complaint or comparison about those?

-ST

I agree that OCd Haswells run hot, but at least they "can" run cool and deliver industry leading performance.

Something that would also weigh heavily in my decision to spend $400 on one of these dinosaurs would be the fact AMD themselves have abandoned this platform.

AMD's Processor Shift: The Future Really is Fusion | PC Perspective

Sadly, for those users hoping for one last upgrade on the AM3+ platform, it looks like prospects of a large Steamroller based product on that platform are slim.

Why would anyone invest money in a dead end, EOL platform?

The RealRollo

Banned
Google Traduction

In contrast, the AMD FX 9590 has everything you need to make a bad product ...! Nothing makes it possible to save the day for this processor, either technically or commercially, and we understand better after having hands why AMD avoids the supply under test.

I saw this review referenced on another forum, and it only reinforces my opinion no person on the planet should invest hard earned money in this dead, inefficient, underperforming platform.

AkG

Firstly. I am a silentPC freak. I hate noise. To me the number one enemy is HEAT. Heat == noise. Noise == BAD. Would I own this chip? No. Nor would I use it in many builds - if any. At 8 bills it was stupid. But so hot the 'water in your cooler boils' is asinine bordering on FUD. My craptacularly poor OC'er 4770K can be cooled with a typical off the shelf AIO. Many, many air and water coolers are rated to well above 200 watts of cooling capability.

"Why would anyone invest money in a dead end, EOL platform?" is simple. They own the mobo, they own a good cooler. They slap in a 3-4bill chip (and yeah now that the halo period is over...it probably will get cheaper still)....and get another 2-3 years out of their system. IE they are already invested in that platform. For most normal peeps, swapping out a mobo is a royal PITA and a good couple hours work to get everything back 'just right'. Popin' in a new chip is simple. Its numbers are not terrible. They will be 'good enough' for many. This is why there is room in the market for this CPU...once it hits 3bills. Your hatred for AMD have blinded you to the reality of how the market works. Hell I WISH everyone could see the need for 4770K + 780 rigs as it sure improve my bottom line.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, at $300 I might consider picking one up to replace the 965 in my sig.

As an aside.... with all the discussion about how hot these procs run, I thought this particular advertising flyer's theme was unfortunate..... ;)

hot proc.jpg

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Why would anyone invest money in a dead end, EOL platform?

So this is where I step back into this particular conversation.

In many ways Intel releases EOL platforms from the onset. They have typically stuck around for 18 months before being replaced with a new socket for no reason whatsoever.

AMD on the other hand should be credited for releasing a platform that could be upgraded without mucking around with the socket. Hell, when it was released, 990FX had six native SATA 6Gbps ports, something X79 still lacks.

At this point in time, AMD needs consolidation and FM2+ / FM3 is the direction of choice. PCPer neglected to mention that the FM platform doesn't have any issue working with processors that don't have a secondary graphics sub-processor. Case and point: the Athlon X4 7xx CPUs (not APUs). This means the FX-series could and likely will make a comeback there.

Latest posts