What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz Comment Thread!!

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... so much angst over such a little thing.......... ;)

Isn't this similar to the spaceheater P4s that were released at the end of their life cycle? Seems to me folks bought those up as well. :)

Yes the price tag on these probably means that they won't sell all that many (unless it's part of a half price fire sale like what seems to have happened over on the egg yesterday.... ;) ), but what's the big deal?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
omg.

I havnt seen an amd/intel flamewar comparison like this since the Core 1 days.

GOD BLESS THIS THREAD.

The RealRollo

Banned
When companies charge a much higher price for their top part, the potential buyers voice their disapproval of the high prices. (E.G. The 1000s of posts about the NVIDIA Titan cards which set a new price point for high end GPUs.)

When a company charges a much higher price for a product that is inferior to products costing much less, there's bound to be a lot a mockery and derision.

If AMD managed to clock a 32nm Athlon X2 at 7GHz and it provided 90% of the performance of $300 4770K for $800+, people would not be posting "Wow what a fun part! That is the first time we've seen a 7GHz part, that alone is worth $800!".

Don't know about the rest of the board, but I buy parts based on their performance alone. If intel sells a 1GHz part for $300 that performs better than a $800 500GHz AMD chip, or vice versa, I'm buying the $300 part.

There's no "fun" in the part running at higher frequency- the "fun" is having your games run smoother.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I think there's another thing to take into account.

These chips were NEVER supposed to be sold individually, nor were they even heavily marketed. The FX-9590 is a niche product that was only supposed to make it into bundles and prebuilt systems where its higher cost could easily be absorbed. If they were intent for individual purchase, my opinion would have been quite different. It has been certain retailers who took it upon themselves to do this....and with an insane markup to boot.

With that in mind, I think the anger here is misplaced.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
The FX-9590 is a niche product that was only supposed to make it into bundles and prebuilt systems where its higher cost could easily be absorbed.

It fails at that too. Unless it's goal was to rip off unknowing consumers who would look at 5ghz and go woohooo.

The RealRollo

Banned
I think there's another thing to take into account.

These chips were NEVER supposed to be sold individually, nor were they even heavily marketed. The FX-9590 is a niche product that was only supposed to make it into bundles and prebuilt systems where its higher cost could easily be absorbed. If they were intent for individual purchase, my opinion would have been quite different. It has been certain retailers who took it upon themselves to do this....and with an insane markup to boot.

With that in mind, I think the anger here is misplaced.

I know you have to keep the peace with AMD and can't post, "WTH?! Is there a user on the planet dumb enough to buy this?!" but there's just no defense to this sort of thieving.

(and what you posted there just tells me never, ever buy a pre-built box, if this sort of treachery is common in them)

AMD: "Ha ha ha! Let's steal $500 from our most loyal customers, the saps buying high end AMD motherboards in boutique systems!"
Systems Assemblers: "Ha ha ha! THANKS! We can dupe the uninformed big bucks with a 5GHz chip! The "more money than brains" crowd will pay an extra $2k for a box that looks like it might be 40% faster than intel!"
Both: "Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha!"

:angry2: :censored:

great_big_abyss

Where do I even begin with all the assumptions being made here? ^^^

Okay, so you don't like the new AMD processor. We get it. Don't buy it. It's no skin off your back if somebody else does.

You're starting to sound like a broken record with all the AMD bashing (CPU & GPU alike).

Sushi Warrior

If AMD managed to clock a 32nm Athlon X2 at 7GHz and it provided 90% of the performance of $300 4770K for $800+, people would not be posting "Wow what a fun part! That is the first time we've seen a 7GHz part, that alone is worth $800!".

Don't know about the rest of the board, but I buy parts based on their performance alone. If intel sells a 1GHz part for $300 that performs better than a $800 500GHz AMD chip, or vice versa, I'm buying the $300 part.

There's no "fun" in the part running at higher frequency- the "fun" is having your games run smoother.

Not going to lie, that would probably be the most awesome thing ever. Seriously :canadianwave:

chrisk

Folding Captain
I don't think this chip is worth more than a 'meh', certainly not worth getting irritated about. The heat and power vs performance, adding in price, makes this chip irrelevant.