What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Processor Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Back in January, we were absolutely convinced that we had seen the last hurrah for the venerable quad-core 45nm 'Deneb' die when we reviewed the Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition processor. However, apparently we were wrong as AMD is now releasing the X4 980 Black Edition; a processor sporting an impressive 3.7Ghz core speed. But can it compete against Intel's Sandy Bridge platform?

[ Read full article ]

frontier204

Thanks for the review MAC, especially for the summary. I have to admit though, I only looked at the first two and the last three sections, since what to expect was very predictable the second you confirmed its just another multi boost :blarg:

AMD should've released unlocked quad core versions of Thuban instead (e.g. Phenom 1100T with 2/6 cores disabled), to make use of the turbo feature and the improved efficiency. These things aren't frying motherboards like the Phenom 9850 / 9950 when they were released, or downclocking due to inadequate coolers like the last generation of Intel netburst, I suppose.

FlyingFish

I guess AMD feels a need to fill every single price point possible. Coming next week: The AMD 985 which comes in at $197 to give consumers even more choice.

OR

They are trying to confuse people who will buy it thinking it's a 980x:ph34r:

kingnubian

AMD..........Why even bother releasing this??

Kinda confusing IMHO. Just a short time before Bulldozer & to make it worse the pricing makes it compete with a 6 core model. I'd like to know who is going to buy this?

dma0991

AMD and their delay tactics again. Come on AMD I want my Bulldozer now! :dots:

_dangtx_

Banned
nice review.

yeah,why bother>? invest in the upcoming marketing for the dozer chippies.

Latest posts