What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Puts R9-290X Pre-Orders Live; Asks for $200 Deposit

Dzzope

Ohh, I mean ~780 levels without mantle anything, cos really if they are pushing this so much and it gives so much performance, why bother with so much power?

Yes, but guaranteed that the next Subaru Impreza WRX will have pre-orders even if the only info is that it's got a 2L turbo flat 4 and looks roughly car shaped... (like the last one, can't find a pic but basically you could make out the lights, grill and rough outline.)

The point I'm trying to make is that I believe they are justified in asking for a deposit on pre-orders, it's up to the people to be smart enough not to until there is enough information on it.

sswilson

Staff member
I'd definitely pass on this one based on the expectations they raised with BD. Many of us purchased new chipset motherboards in anticipation of BD's release, which equates to a pseudo deposit on BD pre-release and look how that turned out. I'm thinking the old "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" adage is an appropriate mindset for this particular move by AMD.

If anything, seeing them go this route has got my spidey sense tingling and it's making me wonder if the hype they're trying to build around their upcoming release isn't all smoke and mirrors.

Dzzope

As for pricing... i think AMD learned allot from the mess-up of the 7970 pricing... They were far too slow to react to the nvidia offerings too and were on the back-foot for far too long on price / performance.

Also i wonder if this is just the Australian retailers or a stance from AMD themselves?

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
This has to be refundable guys. Gonna be crazy sales on release so this is just to secure your card.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I'd definitely pass on this one based on the expectations they raised with BD. Many of us purchased new chipset motherboards in anticipation of BD's release, which equates to a pseudo deposit on BD pre-release and look how that turned out. I'm thinking the old "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" adage is an appropriate mindset for this particular move by AMD.

If anything, seeing them go this route has got my spidey sense tingling and it's making me wonder if the hype they're trying to build around their upcoming release isn't all smoke and mirrors.

To me its not so much the worry on performance. They have been pretty consistent at least in GPU's. What bugs me is if they launch and then Maxwell comes shortly thereafter and there is a big price reduction its a lot of money lost.

And add to the fact that they keep $50 either way on what happens this is a bold but ultimately bad move on their behalf.

-ST

jibz

Given how loud the 7970s were compared to my whisper quiet titan. That thing must require watercooling if you want to hear the game.

great_big_abyss

Given how loud the 7970s were compared to my whisper quiet titan. That thing must require watercooling if you want to hear the game.

Not sure where that comes from. The 7970 was never what I would call 'loud', and it was certainly quieter than the generations that came before.