What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Puts R9-290X Pre-Orders Live; Asks for $200 Deposit

headsh0t

Title says AMD is asking for deposit, but isn't it actually the retailers looking for the deposit just to make sure they're not left with a bunch of cards that everyone backs out of buying?

Desiato

All the public knows about nextgen AMD cards and Mantle is PR hype. AMD says their new tech is the best thing ever? You don't say...

IMO, AMD recognized they would not be competitive for the holidays, so they've ramped up the hype to take a chunk out of nvidia holiday sales. Like almost all PR Hype, it is likely exaggerated.

A hardware specific API? A presale with no price or release date? AMD is desperate.

Edit: PR = public relations, not page rank.

b1lk1

Like I said to the staff, it's like buying a car without knowing what it looks like, how it performs or how much you'll ultimately spend on the purchase.

I just did that this year when buying a 1988 Mustang LX to play with. I would easily do the deposit on a new card if I could afford it right now even when considering the risks. Hell, I bought a 2900XT on release day.

draemn

My thought is that without mantel support these cards will not be as impressive as their "teaser of use playing this game" makes them out. Well, that makes it a hard choice because nothing sucks more than getting a new game and it doesn't want to play nice with your hardware (i.e. SLI/crossfire have had this issue a lot, how diff is mantel). Still, if you know you want the next gen top dog and you want to buy AMD, the pre-order would make sense if it didn't put you out $50... then again, if they have the supply issues they usually have, it will be worth your money.

I could be wrong, but I would expect with so many developers seeing console games as the priority over PC that a lot of games should come out of the box with mantel support... time will tell.

LoTech

I agree that AMD needs to release cards and testing results before I would step and buy. Buying without hard testing to me invokes the "buyer beware" sign. If the card is that good then let the testing begin!!!! Lets see how it stacks up before I put down my hard earned cash.:ph34r: Seems a little sneaky to me.

Soullessone21

Uk company doing pre-order.. no deposit needed.

This isn't AMD, this is the retailers... That or AMD has different policies for different regions.

This guy here yup this guy is 100% correct. Its not AMD its the etailers. I read skys tittle and thought damn that amd then noticed with ten seconds of going to sites and reading around it wad not AMD at all.

ill push this up to a slip up not a amd bash :)

Delavan

Humm,

Last time AMD got me back on their side (after the original ATI X800 Pro AGP 8x release, $600 Cdn when I bought it at NCIX in 2004 as far as I remember, don't remember why it was so expensive), was the release of the HD5870...Pretty nice cards, better than the GTX285....I bought one from NCIX in 2009, second batch they received, I had my name in for pre-order kinda deal (the XFX reference one, $425 PM'ed at the time). Very nice, DX11 and all that!!!

By the time DX 11 was actually used by more than a few "showcase" titles, my HD5870 1GB card was old news...

Now, buy blind, usage/promises of DX11.1 features, and Mantle (proprietary thru GCN Arch.)....although AMD's masterpiece is the "BF4/EA/DICE partnership"...

That causes some Battlefield players to be "all ears"...waiting for reviews...

Last edited:

Latest posts