What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Puts R9-290X Pre-Orders Live; Asks for $200 Deposit

sf101

its a big risk actually considering we have no hard proof reviews yet. or a official price tag.

no one seems to remember the bulldozer release? all the fake reviews surrounding it and then on release it was a big flop in performance and failed on alot of promises.

I want one of these cards when they release but i will not throw my money away on something with no real reviews or info or even a retail price tag attached to it.

Dzzope

Yea, I wouldn't put any money down till I saw reviews etc.

As I said, obviously it's a risk but for pre-order I don't see the problem. If someone really wants it without seeing the numbers mentioned above (price, performance, heat etc) I don't think a deposit is too much to ask.

trodas

Inteesting move. If they could lessen the information embargo and release some tests, at least with the DX11.1 renderer in BF4, then it could have a huge impact on the sales. But even this move could be some "sensing of the watters", about how much buyers can line up there.

I would love to get my hands on the card, but with nothing reasonably working to stick it into, it would not be usable for me much :(

/me off to fix the AGP problems on my mobo...

PS. IMHO the deposit says - yes, I'm serious about getting the card. And IMHO I would be very surprised, if there was not a huge demand for the card, because it (seems) to offer beyond Titan performance with notably lower (we hope) price.

Dzzope

Really I'm expecting the performance to be on average around the 780~ and the price to be around $50 - $100 less($549 - $599) but hopefully with better head-room than nvidia for the overclockers.

Really with the whole Mantle thing, Nvidia need to give their customers something. Unlocking the voltage on their cards would go a long way IMO.

trodas

nVidia already giving - documentation to their GPUs. That was unimaginable before, this is a huge step. They must know something, that we don't know. Like that the performance the Mantle-based BF4 optimalizations allow leave them in the dust.
Yet so far we seen nothing - at least some people can play the BF4 demo now, but that it is :haha:

A good nice "leak" of informations would go long way there.

I did not expect the R9 290X performance around GTX 780, but over the Titan even w/o Mantle-powered games/benches/tests. As they say: "we did not create a completely new API just to gain few % of performance" - and after two years that makes sense.

Consoles can do much more with absolutely inferior HW. That level of performance gain this could be, depends on how much time programmers spendt on the optimalizations. (and if the game design take these optimalizations into account from the very beginning of the programiing, making them possible after all)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Like I said to the staff, it's like buying a car without knowing what it looks like, how it performs or how much you'll ultimately spend on the purchase.

great_big_abyss

Here's the thing though...while AMD may have fouled up their CPU division, their GPU's have been pretty spot on the money for the last little while...at least on the hardware side of things, anyway.

As far as 'bets' go, I would consider this to be a 'safe' bet, given AMD's excellent track record with graphics cards.

Inik

Folding Team
I don't know... the 7970 was expensive at launch, but went down in price with the new products from Nvida 2 months after. The situation could still happen, and you would get burn again.

I find that there are too many uncertainties for a blind pre-order like that.

Latest posts