What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD releases the 'Mini PC', theyre NUC competitor

Soultribunal

Staff member
Interesting for sure to see.
I think though if Intel Gets the whole Element Concept working correctly (especially with their Xe GPU coming this way) it's going to be an uphill battle for a while.

But, I think they can do it. They just need to get their GPU's more 'SFF/Mobile' friendly.

-ST

Entz

It is basically a full modular PC concept where the CPU (and GPU/RAM etc) are on an expansion card and you slot them into a chassis. To upgrade you simply replace that whole board. Kind of the reverse of PCI-e , the system is the add in card and you connect it to a backplane for the rest.

1575404024467.png (from Anandtech)

Neat enough idea but I am not sure how practical. Laptop version first please :p

Shadowarez

Folding Team
would be cool and all but once amd catches on sure they can do it better if intel is still struggeling by then or outsourcing still to samsung.

JD

Staff member
Isn't this just consumer-level blade servers? Concept seems pretty similar.
It is basically a full modular PC concept where the CPU (and GPU/RAM etc) are on an expansion card and you slot them into a chassis. To upgrade you simply replace that whole board. Kind of the reverse of PCI-e , the system is the add in card and you connect it to a backplane for the rest.

View attachment 27529 (from Anandtech)

Neat enough idea but I am not sure how practical. Laptop version first please :p
Isn't this really just a blade server but for consumers?

Entz

Basically. The only thing it doesn't have is a power from the backplane type connector though I can it evolving into that.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Ew. I really dislike that idea. A slot in system that going to be super expensive? No thanks.

I Was really looking forward to the AM1 platform being expanded. Ultra cheap motherboard, lots of support for future upgrades, and *everything* built into the APU. I had been hoping to upgrade my 5350 someday with a Faster version, and reusing all the same hardware for the rest. Would've been so much better than such a massive ungainly slot in card.

Latest posts

Twitter