What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD releases the 'Mini PC', theyre NUC competitor

Mr. Friendly

It is basically a full modular PC concept where the CPU (and GPU/RAM etc) are on an expansion card and you slot them into a chassis. To upgrade you simply replace that whole board. Kind of the reverse of PCI-e , the system is the add in card and you connect it to a backplane for the rest.

View attachment 27529 (from Anandtech)

Neat enough idea but I am not sure how practical. Laptop version first please :p
ah yes...blade servers v2.

Soultribunal

Staff member
And to be Honest I can't wait to see what we get with these even if they are psudeo blade servers.
I think its a good design, and when its available I intend to scoop one up for a compact gaming enclosure that will be very upgradable.

-ST

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I have been thinking about how neat it would be to make a thin ITX system with a riser card and an ITX GPU.
Nah. Keep it absolutely tiny. A better-than-a-laptop cooling solution plus a 3500u or better world be an absolute Monster in that size category. Imagine 720/1080p gaming on a box only slightly bigger than those cheap Android streaming ones. I'm already sold, someone just needs to make it.

Mr. Friendly

it's going to take AMD a while to catch up to Intel in the NUC space. firstly, we need an 8 core APU from them cause their 4c / 8t are pitiful compared to the processing power you can get from Intel's T series CPU's and their top end 9900T 8c / 16t model.

there's also almost no selection for AMD thin ITX mobo's. there are a few, but they can only run the 4c / 8t APU's.

I would really love to see someone come out with a thin ITX mobo that has 3x miniDP connectors and use the space savings to give more USB 3.0 ports. hell, abolish the USB 2.0 ports entirely. you only have a x4 or maybe a x16 slot (you'd use with a riser otherwise why are you going thin ITX?) so there's lots of bandwidth available through the unused PCIe lanes CPU n chipset have.

I sure wish I knew how to try a kickstarter campaign to have something like this designed / made for the SFF enthusiast community. :p