What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD releases the 'Mini PC', theyre NUC competitor

sswilson

Staff member
Quite frankly.... iGPU performance is a hell of a lot more important than core count in this space. NUC style/size pcs should be thought of as designed for client/output duty instead of thinking they're going to do the handbrake duties. 4C/8T is more than enough for a NUC.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Lenovo's "Tiny" PCs are generally just laptop chips from Intel, don't see why they couldn't do the same with Ryzen Mobile chips. They already make motherboards for laptops which are pretty small, it's just different packaging without screens.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Quite frankly.... iGPU performance is a hell of a lot more important than core count in this space. NUC style/size pcs should be thought of as designed for client/output duty instead of as thinking they're going to do the handbrake duties. 4C/8T is more than enough for a NUC.
Exactly. And a Ryzen wipes the floor with everything Intel has in terms of GPU and SoC.

Lenovo's "Tiny" PCs are generally just laptop chips from Intel, don't see why they couldn't do the same with Ryzen Mobile chips. They already make motherboards for laptops which are pretty small, it's just different packaging without screens.
Also Exactly. 3500U with a heatsink that's better and quieter than a laptop one. Done dream right there. I'd but it, without a doubt.

Mr. Friendly

nope, you're a bit off/ wrong. I know this as I'm a Lenovo Tiny user and have an M900x, which uses a full power i7-6700 desktop CPU in it, not a 6700T. and a 6700T is a downclocked desktop CPU, not a mobile CPU. higher 35w TDP (not the 15w - 25w for their mobile) and has the desktop iGPU.

the current M920x has two configurations. a full desktop CPU or a T CPU with the iGPU or an optional RX560 w/4GB.

I see why I would want the lower power CPU now though...the blower cooler is ALWAYS on. LoL.

Mr. Friendly

there is brand new series, the M630e, that has i3 and i5 mobile CPU's, but it's first gen. and the one you show, the Lenovo Nano, is also a brand new, first gen series. there is an AMD version coming as well, but I forget what it's being called. M75n or some such.

the cool thing is I can source all these boards from the Lenovo Tiny n adapt them to a custom chassis.

also, some people want as small and powerful a PC as possible for 'because of reasons'. initial application was business / industrial space, but it's since expanded and caught on world wide. and being you can have power Intel uSFF, it's natural I'd want to be able to do so for AMD as well. however the lack of high end APU to compete with Intel's i7 / i9 T series CPU's limits that. also, I'm bringing my Tiny to it's knees all the time, so realize I need moar cores. I just may have to go with a 9700T or 9900T until AMD has their stuff sorted out.

Twitter