What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Retail Prices

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
TBH, I think its just inflation. Well, that and corporate greed, of course ;)

Given the current world climate and 'supply constraints' (god I'm getting tired of that phrase) I'm amazed prices havnt shot up more across all parts. RAM in particular seems extremely cheap given all the other price bumps...

Also, in case any one was wondering bang/buck, expecially given the 7600 being sold out the 7700x seems great value imo, and looks to have taken the place of the 5800x slot at the 5700x pricepoint (which is where the 5800x should have been last season).

7950x = $60/core
7900x = $64/core
7700x = $70/core
7600x = $70/core

crazyea

Honestly I haven't been following the motherboard tech that much leading up to this launch, until you guys brought it up.

Although the pricing is bonkers, what is the new tech that's driving such a huge jump in prices? Is it DDR5? Some higher PCI-E spec? What's the deal? 🤔
Just inflation and pandemic induced greed I would guess. I mean just buying a small bit of FETA has doubled over the last year. It's crazy out there.

Damn: @Sagath sniped me on that one.

crazyea

But the 7000 stuff is a new socket correct? So you can't by a cheaper X570 board and put a new 7000 series chip in it?
Let's see if AMD changes the socket pinout every other generation or so as well. Their track record has been good in this regard but who knows.

clshades

Imagine paying $1700 for not only a motherboard but an MSI motherboard 😄

$1700 buys a really decent laptop. Add in the PSU, ram and other little things you're into a very high end lappy.

I bought a used MSI 1080ti. The thing was over heating at stock settings in a great case. Ended spending another 250 bucks putting an AIO on it. I hate MSI.

Bond007

It feels a lot like the "what happened to $500 flagship vid cards?" thing we went through (and now flagship vid cards are a lot closer to $1500 :( )

Yea took a look at the prices at MemEx and it showed the cheapest at $350 with the highest being that Godlike $1750.

Hell the Asus Hero board is $900. The cheapest X670E board I can see is the Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS for $425. That is just way too high if you ask me.

These motherboard prices are just crazy.

Although the pricing is bonkers, what is the new tech that's driving such a huge jump in prices? Is it DDR5? Some higher PCI-E spec? What's the deal? 🤔
obviously inflation, raw costs (BOM), etc, etc all increase the price, but I still think the #1 reason for the rapid rate costs have increased at is people...as long as people will pay the higher prices, there is no reason for a company to drive prices lower (profit margins are WAY better on high end products). Unit people stop pulling out their wallet for the high prices, they will not recover.

Lysrin

obviously inflation, raw costs (BOM), etc, etc all increase the price, but I still think the #1 reason for the rapid rate costs have increased at is people...as long as people will pay the higher prices, there is no reason for a company to drive prices lower (profit margins are WAY better on high end products). Unit people stop pulling out their wallet for the high prices, they will not recover.
Yeah that is absolutely true. And I don't expect companies to make less money than they are capable of. I'd like them to... as long as it isn't my company ;)

Seriously though, that is a bit of an unrealistic burden to put on a company I think. As I've said before, someone is doing the calculations and modelling at these companies and giving them the fuel to decide on pricing. Things are certainly more expensive too, which disguises it, but how much do we really expect a company to bear those cost if they can recoup it through high priced sales?