What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G Review Comment Thread

Lpfan4ever

Awesome to see they lived up to what they needed to do. The 2200G is looking to be the best HTPC CPU since Vega does seem to support HEVC main10.

My fight seems to go on though. Everything that is running the current gen chipset (B350M, A320) seems to only be supporting HDMI V1.4 despite Raven Ridge/Vega supporting 2.0. I know this isn't going to be pushing any sort of decent FPS for 4K gaming, but it seems silly to drop money on something that's not going to be able to make use of the plentiful 4K60 displays.

FreeKnight

I noticed the review was with an nVidia card. Did AMD drop that whole 'kinda-crossfire-not really' Dual graphics they were billing with previous chips (A8/A10s if I'm remembering correctly)? If I'm remembering right it didn't really pan out, but at the time was hyped a way to get much better gaming performance than a traditional cpu+mb combo.

(I'm not explaining this terrificly, I just can't remember exactly what AMD called it at the time)

sswilson

Staff member
So... when are these supposed to hit the street?

My young lad was asking about building a PC to run DIII, but was scared off when I told him that DDR4 + dedicated GFX card was probably going to run him a minimum of $500 without mobo/cpu/HDD/Case..... :)

Something like this might take a bit of the sting out of that...... :)

Lpfan4ever

So... when are these supposed to hit the street?
MemEx has them in-stock at the Calgary NW store, but nothing in the others or online. If I end up near the store I'll pop in and check if they actually have stock or not.

sswilson

Staff member
MemEx has them in-stock at the Calgary NW store, but nothing in the others or online. If I end up near the store I'll pop in and check if they actually have stock or not.
Heh... yeah that sounds a little sketchy since nobody else is showing stock... it's possible that everybody has stock but vendors are under a restriction on when they're allowed to start selling.

A non-paper launch would be refreshing though....

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I noticed the review was with an nVidia card. Did AMD drop that whole 'kinda-crossfire-not really' Dual graphics they were billing with previous chips (A8/A10s if I'm remembering correctly)? If I'm remembering right it didn't really pan out, but at the time was hyped a way to get much better gaming performance than a traditional cpu+mb combo.

(I'm not explaining this terrificly, I just can't remember exactly what AMD called it at the time)
The first page of the review (though long) explained the lack of Dual Graphics (which is what it was called BTW). The long and short of it is this: Dual Graphics required a GPU which had the same architecture and basic layout as the IGP to function. In this case we have a Vega internal GPU and at this point AMD hasn't done anything to cascade Vega down into lower price brackets on the discrete side.

Now if I could stare into my crystal ball for a moment, I'm going to say that Dual Graphics is officially dead. These days, there's really no reason to have sub-$99 graphics cards and the advent of Raven Ridge makes them even more pointless IMO.

Awesome to see they lived up to what they needed to do. The 2200G is looking to be the best HTPC CPU since Vega does seem to support HEVC main10.

My fight seems to go on though. Everything that is running the current gen chipset (B350M, A320) seems to only be supporting HDMI V1.4 despite Raven Ridge/Vega supporting 2.0. I know this isn't going to be pushing any sort of decent FPS for 4K gaming, but it seems silly to drop money on something that's not going to be able to make use of the plentiful 4K60 displays.
This boils down to licensing fees. Adding HDMI 2.0 to an affordable motherboard would increase the BOM cost at this point which is why we continue to see HDMI 1.4 being used. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like ASRock putting together a niche product with HDMI 2.0 at some point.

To add a little bit of mystery into this equation: I asked AMD point blank whether or not HDMI 2.0 was enabled right now and they pointedly avoided answering. My thought is their software support isn't ready even though partners like Zotac have shown off mini PCs with Raven Ridge + HDMI 2.0.

upcoast604

All be it a small market I suppose this has its place, not in my place though.

I wonder if DDR4 prices are swaying ppl from building new mini pcs any way or any pcs really.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I as talking to Eber about this the other day.

The price of a 2200G + B350 board < 16GB of 3200MHz memory. Its brutal.

Bartacus

I think GPU prices are a bigger factor than RAM prices, but as Sky said, it's brutal either way. I paid over $300 for 16GB of ram, and that was a decent price ($280 + tax / shipping). That same ram is $335 now. 32GB is NOT in my immediate future!

Latest posts

Twitter