What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 5 Issue

Tyrann

I finally got my Ryzen 5 CPU as the last piece to my new PC build which i've been getting parts for the last few months. I purchased a Gigabyte X370 K7 in March and most of my parts around then as well or earlier. The problem i have is that after putting it all together my PC wouldn't get to the POST screen or even beep. It would turn on and stay running with all fans spinning but my screen would stay black. My monitor is fine as i used it with my older pc. Here is the steps i tried to find out which part was bad:

1) tried different video card and power cables
2) tried different power supply (750W & 850W)
3) tried different ram configs (different slots and different sticks)

Was getting fed up and angry that i may have to RMA my mobo until i checked CPU Support on my phone for this MOBO and others for that matter and found that they didn't release drivers for Ryzen 5 until recently (April 10th)......which means any mobo still with stock BIOS will not run/work without updating first....and the only way to update BIOS is either by having a Ryzen 7 CPU to load it up and then update or by sending the MOBO back for them to do the update for you......I guess reviewers or streamers missed the fact that they probably used a MOBO from their Ryzen 7 reviews that they already updated the BIOS on....

I'll probably go to my nearby CanadaComputers and see if they can do it for me but just wanted to let other people know of my frustration lol.

sweenytodd

I hear your pain.

The first thing you should do is check the motherboard CPU and memory compatibility first before buying. I confirmed that Asus and MSI B350 are compatible with Ryzen 5 CPUs with their initial BIOS release. Only Gigabyte doesn't.

When I bought my MSI B350 Tomahawk, it had a lot of issues. Too slow to POST, cannot boot to Windows when I attach my HDD, and doesn't like my RAM. Since then, I exchanged it with an Asus B350-Prime Plus, a much better board, faster post and boot times, all the other issues are gone. We are just waiting for more BIOS updates and memory compatibility.

Can you not return or exchange your motherboard with an Asus or MSI one?

Tyrann

I hear your pain.

The first thing you should do is check the motherboard CPU and memory compatibility first before buying. I confirmed that Asus and MSI B350 are compatible with Ryzen 5 CPUs with their initial BIOS release. Only Gigabyte doesn't.

When I bought my MSI B350 Tomahawk, it had a lot of issues. Too slow to POST, cannot boot to Windows when I attach my HDD, and doesn't like my RAM. Since then, I exchanged it with an Asus B350-Prime Plus, a much better board, faster post and boot times, all the other issues are gone. We are just waiting for more BIOS updates and memory compatibility.

Can you not return or exchange your motherboard with an Asus or MSI one?
I'll see if i can get Canadacomputers to do the service for me, even if they charge me i don't care. I purchased the MOBO from Newegg and would rather not have to wait another 2 weeks to receive a new or different part. If Canada Computers doesn't help at their service center then maybe i'll try exchanging the CPU which i got from there to a Ryzen 7. Just surprised they only put the drivers into the B350 series first without giving the X370 any support till after. I really want to use this Gigabyte board though cause it has so many features i looked for and got it at a great price lol.

MARSTG

I'll see if i can get Canadacomputers to do the service for me, even if they charge me i don't care.
yep they do bios updates. I paid 20$ last time. But I think it got up to 50 now from what I have seen their pricelist.

D

Dark Knight

I guess reviewers or streamers missed the fact that they probably used a MOBO from their Ryzen 7 reviews that they already updated the BIOS on....
Microcode updates happen regardless of whether you are on Intel or AMD. It's almost impossible for the motherboard manufacturer to ensure that the motherboard has the latest cpu microcode/bios when the motherboard could have been produced earlier and could have been sitting on a retail shelf or warehouse shelf. That's why some manufacturers offer an option to flash without cpu or memory (ASUS is USB Bios Flashback, Gigabyte is Q-Flash Plus, etc...). So if you take it to Canada Computers they should be able to flash it at their service center for a fee and seeing as how it is PGA it should be simple without worrying about bent pins etc...

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter