What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X & 1950X Review Comment Thread

sf101

ncix wants $1,129.99 cad for the Threadripper 1920X.
here we go with the inflated pricing again.

even with conversion of USD to CAD its 120+$ over the RSP

EmptyMellon

Nicely written review SKY, well detailed and compliments to the proofreader, or atleast as I could tell (on the pages I read in detail...the non-gaming ones).

After reading this review, I am looking forward to 31st of August for the 1900X review. After that it will be a good time to decide between X299 (i7-7820X?) or X399 (TR4 1900X?), or even AM4 (1800X?) platform if it makes sense. Now that the Threadripper reviews are out on the 'inter-webs', could the board makers please stop making/marketing any more "Gaming" TR motherboards, it is that much more silly since the reviews point to prosumer/content creator/home lab type workloads and less to gaming.

sswilson

Staff member
ncix wants $1,129.99 cad for the Threadripper 1920X.
here we go with the inflated pricing again.

even with conversion of USD to CAD its 120+$ over the RSP

And honestly, I don't find a 10%(ish) Canadian premium over USD MSRP all that bad. Like it or not, some kind of premium has always been there, especially when businesses have to factor in fluctuations of local currencies against the fixed USD MSRPs they're ordering against.

EmptyMellon

Plus, once the hype subsides, so will the prices. And I would not be surprised to see AMD bring down the TR prices as Intel releases the rest of their Skylake-X CPUs.

D

Dark Knight

And honestly, I don't find a 10%(ish) Canadian premium over USD MSRP all that bad. Like it or not, some kind of premium has always been there, especially when businesses have to factor in fluctuations of local currencies against the fixed USD MSRPs they're ordering against.

The premium even if it was there before was usually unjustified. For example when the dollar was higher or on-par retailers were slow to adjust and still kept premium prices even when CAD/USD was factored in.

great_big_abyss

Single threaded performance doesn't really 'suck'. it's almost right up there with the best that Intel has to offer...

Last edited:

Latest posts