What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD screen tear in duplicate display mode

ChrisCP3Paul

For f*#ks sake, this is driving me nuts..... I switched over to AMD recently (r9 290) and have been googling the issue on and off for last 3 months, it's gotten me nowhere, hopefully one of you guys can help me....

There are lots of google hits about this issue, but not one solution I found..... basically when I choose duplicate display mode, I always get one of the screens either my TV or my Monitor display a screen tear on the bottom quarter across the whole screen...
I sometimes like to lay out on the couch and use my PC that way, at times I like to sit at my desk when my wife needs the TV, wtf is the problem AMD.....
Heres someone elses video i found on youtube... anyway thanks for any help, and please do not suggest running any kind of EyeFinity crap thanks, I'm not interested in that.... I just want the same identical problem free image on both my TV and Monitor, not always having to disable/enable displays :thumb:

Screen tearing with two displays on duplicate mode - YouTube

Arinoth

Staff member
What are the connection types to both the displays?

What are the two displays too, what is the TV and what is the monitor (aka brand/size)?

What resolution are you running at?

ChrisCP3Paul

^ thanks for response, I have an HDMI cable going to my TV, and I have a DVI going to my monitor...they're both set to 1080p, and both with 60hz refresh rate.... none of these things are the issues however, I know this because depending which order I disable or enable displays, I get the screen tear in either my monitor or my TV.... right now I have it set up so the tear is displayed on my monitor, since I watch all my movies on the TV and need that picture to be perfect

TTC

I think you have to use identical display connections. Ex. All dvi or alldport.

clshades

hdmi and dvi don't always play nice together man. Have you tried running the TV with a dvi to HDMI dongle instead? I know it wont transfer sound but it might help you eliminate the issue and solve the problem by elimination.

HDMI has restricted resolutions (I think) where as DVI does not.

Bond007

If you have a second monitor try both monitors together (don't use HDMI). Or, as mentioned above try running 2 x DVI to your current setup. I have seen a computer that wouldn't display correct when using HDMI and DVI (it wasn't tearing, but it was random screen freezes/artifacts that resolved with DVI).

ChrisCP3Paul

wow, nobody replied to this thread for a long time after my last post, thought nobody was willing to help out... luckily I just peeked back in and looks like I got the answer I was looking for...

you guys are right, I have my Benq monitor hooked up via DVI, and my TV hooked up via HDMI.... I'm gonna have to try using HDMI for both screens since my TV doesnt have a DVI plug

i actually bought an HDMI splitter before and that worked well for a few days and then it just seemed to die, the HDMI splitter that is... I've gone crossfire with two 290x's so I got more than one HDMI i can do it that way... thank you again for the help, I appreciate it.....

also I found out now that I'm in crossfire if I have duplicate display active, one of my cards constantly runs at maxed out Memory at 1250mhz.... i dont really like that because it keeps the VRM2 hot around 50'c's as opposed to below 30 if it's running at stock mode at 150.., so I've gone back to switching to whatever display im using because of this issue....

Arinoth

Staff member
Uh that's not going to work Chris, you have to disable crossfire in order to have access to the ports on the 2nd graphics card to drive a display.

ChrisCP3Paul

yea man, I'm going to have to buy a good quality powered HDMI splitter if I want this to work, slim pickings at my local PC stores though, gonna have to order one online.... hopefully that doesnt bring back my maxed out memory problem

Arinoth

Staff member
You could also try a DVI to HDMI adapter or a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if you want two HDMI streams/connections.

Latest posts

Twitter