What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD See's The Light! - ARM Chiplets?

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

The gaming GPU war.. A war between red and green that has lasted for almost 3 decades. Whether it was ATI, 3dfX, AMD, or Nvidia, it's always been between the two colors. Sorry Matrox and intel, blue wasn't that important.

Anyways, in the last 5 to 8 years, We’ve seen Nvidia absolutely explode in terms of its range of products. No longer is it data center compute and gaming GPU's only, but now you got Consoles, cars, Deep learning and AI that all need their chips. In fact, in the future, the company is even expanding to CPUs, DPU’s, which is a new term for me, and diving deeper into ARM thanks to their still in the works, acquisition of the company. That’s what you call diversification.

On the other hand, you have AMD. in the last 3 to 4 years, The company bounced back from a pretty dark place, and now… well it feels like they’re too focused on consoles, CPU’s, and GPU’s. In fact, for a pretty long time, AMD’s stance on arm products has been that it wouldn’t touch it at all.

AMD and intel kinda took it easy and relaxed since they’re the major companies who are allowed to build X86 products. In the meantime, ARM basically took off. The apple M1 SOC is essentially the poster child for ARM these days.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
If only they added a way to get a second drive in m1 it would fix the excessive write issues on the embedded SSD as iv heard it's causing premature failure.

Mr. Friendly

I heard that Ryzen 7000 was likely to be a chiplet design...8 big and 4 LITTLE cores. haven't seen anything about AMD designing an ARM based processor, though they been working on something ARM previously but shelved it, I think.

Latest posts

Twitter