What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Vega GPU Features

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
As I said more than half a year ago, Vega's delays are largely tied to HBM2. Yields aren't where they need to be and costs are prohibitive. Heck, even HBM1 yields are still in the tank.

I know this will likely cause some controversy but I think the high end RX Vega is in serious trouble if AMD decides to stick with HBM2 (which they will of course). I know that statement may come out of left field but SKHynix -a key HBM2 partner- has already telegraphed that GDDR6 will be their go-to product for high-end GPUs.

They've gone so far as to confirm that GDDR6 is nearing mass production state AND a high-end GPU product will be launching in early 2018 with the technology. That would likely be the GeForce version of Volta.

If that is the case, remember that Gen 1 GDDR6 is supposed to offer speeds of 16Gbps. Add that to something like a 384-bit interface and you get 768GB/s which dwarfs even the most optimistic 512GB/s spec for HBM2 and you have a very scary situation for AMD wherein their flagship GPU doesn't ever attain its fullest production potential due to a bottleneck in memory production / availability.

upcoast604

As I said more than half a year ago, Vega's delays are largely tied to HBM2. Yields aren't where they need to be and costs are prohibitive. Heck, even HBM1 yields are still in the tank.

I know this will likely cause some controversy but I think the high end RX Vega is in serious trouble if AMD decides to stick with HBM2 (which they will of course). I know that statement may come out of left field but SKHynix -a key HBM2 partner- has already telegraphed that GDDR6 will be their go-to product for high-end GPUs.

They've gone so far as to confirm that GDDR6 is nearing mass production state AND a high-end GPU product will be launching in early 2018 with the technology. That would likely be the GeForce version of Volta.

If that is the case, remember that Gen 1 GDDR6 is supposed to offer speeds of 16Gbps. Add that to something like a 384-bit interface and you get 768GB/s which dwarfs even the most optimistic 512GB/s spec for HBM2 and you have a very scary situation for AMD wherein their flagship GPU doesn't ever attain its fullest production potential due to a bottleneck in memory production / availability.
I think I'm just going to settle on the Rx 580 for now, what you're saying makes sense and doesn't look hopeful to me.

Lysrin

That is interesting insight but I don't think that is something any of us want to be true. If AMD really gets themselves into that situation then my dream of cheap 1080Tis is gone!

Seriously though I think even those locked into NVIDIA, like me with my expensive G-Sync monitor for example, still want AMD to be a winner as we have said over and over on these forums to promote competition and better pricing. If AMD did make that big a misstep with HBM2 then we're not going to get that. At least Ryzen and the Threadripper stuff seems to be a contender in the CPU arena.

The other thing about the new AMD cards not coming until late July is that I think there will be a lot of people who just won't wait that long. The 1080Tis will have been out for a good while with a proven performance record and I think people will just say "Meh... I'll buy for the performance now." Maybe people are more patient than I think (or perhaps I should say more patient than me)?

Bond007

Prepare your PSUs : 2 x 8pin power leads are required to drive a Vega GPU with a stated TDP of 300W for the air cooled version, going as high as 375W for the water cooled versions. Cost : 999$ and performance of a 1080, not a 1080 Ti. Base clock of 1328 MHz with boost up to 1600 MHz. https://www.techpowerup.com/234573/radeon-rx-vega-needs-a-damn-lot-of-power-aib-partner-rep
From what I have read it is going to be high power, but I think the price you quoted is for the professional GPUs, not the gaming ones. I may be wrong though.

GT7R

Prepare your PSUs : 2 x 8pin power leads are required to drive a Vega GPU with a stated TDP of 300W for the air cooled version, going as high as 375W for the water cooled versions. Cost : 999$ and performance of a 1080, not a 1080 Ti. Base clock of 1328 MHz with boost up to 1600 MHz. https://www.techpowerup.com/234573/radeon-rx-vega-needs-a-damn-lot-of-power-aib-partner-rep
As weird as is sounds, but finally proper enthusiast grade balls-to-the-wall stuff which doesn't give a rats ass about power consumption or heat output. Technology and engineering pushed to the absolute limit.
That's why we have all the board partners to build those ridiculous heat-pipe galore coolers, that's why we have 1Kw+ PSUs. Finally will get to pull the unused PSU cables out of their bag. :biggrin:

Babrbarossa

As weird as is sounds, but finally proper enthusiast grade balls-to-the-wall stuff which doesn't give a rats ass about power consumption or heat output. Technology and engineering pushed to the absolute limit.
That's why we have all the board partners to build those ridiculous heat-pipe galore coolers, that's why we have 1Kw+ PSUs. Finally will get to pull the unused PSU cables out of their bag. :biggrin:
That was the 295X2 :thumb:

Twitter