What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD's Rome Based Epyc Line Up Leaked

Bond007

Interesting. I would have expected this to start with 12 or 16 cores. The market will let AMD know if they need to keep lower core count CPUs in the EPYC lineup.

Mr. Friendly

the lower core count will be for entry level servers. if positioned properly by price, it will put a hurt on Intel as their entry level W Xeon's are only 4 and 6 core. you can get some 8 core Xeon Bronze's, but they have pitiful clock speeds, so again, could prove beneficial for AMD.

Entz

I am sure it also has to do with die quality. It seems like 8 is the "max" per chiplet, so a poor quality one that needs lots of power to clock higher could be the entry level.

Though for entry level servers, if you don't need obscene amounts of RAM, I am expecting Supermicro/Tyan/etc to have TR or even AM4 based boards. That 3950X would absolutely demolish intels E3 Xeons (or whatever they are calling them these days) for single processor boards.

Mr. Friendly

Intel has a very fragmented eco-system for entry level Xeon stuff. There is an E series, which replaced the E3...and a W series, that's targeted at workstations, but is being used for some entry level servers. both are 4 core or 6 core parts only. then you go into the Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum garbage :p

Latest posts

Twitter