What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Android PC? What would you build?

justmehereajax

Emulators are fine but I want to build a PC dedicated for Android.

Is this build good for all around Android use?
i3-3240
4GB RAM
Kingston 120GB A400 ssd

What Android distro should I use nowadays That should run everything?

justmehereajax

Building a dedicated PC for Android is too much for me right now as I found a easy way to do this with a 2012 Toshiba dual core pentium laptop.

The laptop has Windows 10, 4gb ram and a 120gb ssd. It is good for daily use and has a ok battery,

I installed Android x86 64bit onto a USB 3.0 Kingston flash drive 32GB to boot from. Flawless use so far.

moocow

I'm using Android X86 as well on my Chinese brand tablet. Oreo 8.1 R2 with 4.20 kernel works pretty well except I couldn't get Bluetooth to work and it doesn't completely disable the speakers when I plug in the headphones. If you aren't using fancy hardware like dGPU and touch screen, the live USB should work well. Otherwise, you may need to build a custom ISO like me.

moocow

Yes, my tablet is using an Atom Z8300 Cherrytrail x86-64 CPU and iGPU. While the touch screen, accelerator, wifi, and audio were supported, I still have to fiddle around with property and init files to get it working correctly. Best to backup the product key and export an report from Device Manager before attempting to install Android X86. I tried to do dual boot but Windows 10 keep killing the GRUB settings or EFI partition. No big lost of Windows 10 on the tablet since it's only an Atom CPU with 4GB of RAM.

justmehereajax

for windows tablets the cd key is in bios right? wont lose it with android install

my tablet is older 2014 so drivers should be available i guess let me check

justmehereajax

Funny thing is that last year for my ATOM based hp tablet the Win8.1 drivers were available for it on the HP support website. Now everything is gone just a BIOS update to address Sceptre and Meltdown I suppose.

I am gonna try running Android x86 32bit or 64bit? It only has 2gb of ram... hmm....Gonna try 64bit first .... trying both to get that thing working again. Windows 10 updates messed up all the touchscreen and sleep. HP PRo Tablet G1 610. I love to use it the HP tablet because the screen is amazing.

moocow

The thing with product key is that it depends. For my tablet, it was for sure not embedded into the BIOS. I re-install fresh off the Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool and the key was gone. It could be a difference in version (OEM vs Home vs Pro), I can't remember for sure. But once I tracked down and install the original Windows image from the manufacturer, the product key is there.

Use 64bit version of Android X86 since HP is showing it as a Z3795 Baytrail CPU. Give Live mode a try and see how it works. You may run into black screen, lock up, long boot time, and screen orientation being off. It will be a long process to nail down all these problems. I went thru building at least a dozen custom kernel and ISO images to get to where I'm now.

Jokester: can you expand a bit more on your comment? In what ways do you think Android is clunky for HTPC?

Latest posts